Author Topic: Reflux and fussy feeding, help please  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Rimrim

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 23, 2018, 21:24:38 pm »
Hi I am a mom of a beautiful 4 month boy. Who has been diagnosed with reflux. He has been put on omeprazole 5mg daily solution. My son will only take 3-4 ounces in on feed. He is a very fussy feeder. He has no feeding routine, even though I have tried. He wakes up 3-4 times a night to feed because I’m assuming he doesn’t have enough formula in the day. He is on nannycare goats milk. He brings up milk when he has more than 4 ounces but it’s a real struggle to get him past 3 ounces. He has in a day about 25 ounces & good weigh gain. Night time feeding is the easiest as he drinks it and goes back to sleep. How can I get him to drink more in the day, and why is he fussing at most daytime feedings

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Reflux and fussy feeding, help please
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 21:50:24 pm »
Hi and welcome!

The fussy feeding during the day is more than likely pain related. How much Omeprazole is he getting at each dose? Has he been on it long? It can take a couple of weeks for medication to take effect as they need to heal internally from the acid too. The omeprazole solution isn't always the best medication and 5mg isn't a particularly big does from what I remember.

Is the goat milk on Drs recommendation? Have you tried thickening the formula at all? Refluxers are better off having smaller feeds more often but I understand how wearing 4 night feeds is although at his age you would expect 2 or 3 still really.

Are you keeping him elevated after feeds and is his cot elevated too?

Laura

Offline Rimrim

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 20:08:04 pm »
Hi sorry! I had not a great day, my little has got chicken pox. He has 5mg of omeprazole once daily. He’s been on it for 11 weeks now.

He isn’t sick much because he won’t drink enough anymore to be sick. I haven’t thickened the formula, will that help with him wanting more? From 7am-7pm today he had 17 ounces. We first had him on aptamil (he was always groaning on it), then on HiPP Organic (liked it but was very thin couldn’t keep it down)  then on nanny care then tried Aptamil Pepti on HV advice but he refused it and have diarrhoea , now back on nannycare because that suited him the best. I have elevated his next to me. Most moms I speak to tell me there child started to sleep through around 3 months. I understand my little won’t, but I go back to work soon, and I need abit more sleep to function even twice a night would be lovely!

Offline Lolly

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 19:11:52 pm »
He has 5mg of omeprazole once daily. He’s been on it for 11 weeks now.

How is the omeprazole given - do you have capsules that you open or is it a liquid suspension?

Have you had a med check since it was prescribed? I can't access the med charts we used to be able to for dosages but I think 5mg is a low dose. There was also some thinking that babies metabolise omeprazole quicker than adults so they are better with meds x 2 per day, but each dose needs to be high enough to be therapeutic. I would go back to your DR and discuss the situation further.

My two refluxers were both on Enfamil AR which is a reflux formula. It has added rice starch and thickens in the stomach, they did well on it with medication as well (although Ranitidine not Omeprazole). Solids often helps refluxers, but you are a little way off that yet.

Most Mums have selective memories when it comes to sleuthing through the night, not many sleep bedtime to wake up at this age honestly! My first born was awful, he was about 2.5 before he slept through more than the odd night.... ::)

Laura

Offline Rimrim

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 20:01:09 pm »
Thanks Laura. He has oral suspension. I pay for the prescription privately as the surgery wouldn’t put it on nhs.
Regarding the dose I Speak to my gp. I did go back to speak to them, but the young lady I saw told me kids just cry. I will book in with my regular doctor.

Thanks for your help and reassurance

Offline Lolly

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 21:15:05 pm »
I would get it checked or ask to be referred to a paediatrician.

Did you know the oral suspension deteriorates quite quickly? I'm pretty sure it only lasts about 2 weeks, so if you aren't getting a new one regularly it could be the medication isn't as effective as a fresh bottle too.

Let us know what the Dr says.

Laura