Author Topic: Baby sleep and nap help  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Baby_may

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 26, 2018, 15:30:55 pm »
Hi

So where do i start...!

My 17 week old used to be a good night time sleeper, going to bed at 7pm and waking at 10.30, 3.30 and 6am for feeds and waking up at 7.30am.

In the past few weeks her night wakings have got a lot more frequent. After her bedtime which still around 7pm she will always wake a couple of times around 8pm and 9pm and need to be resettled to sleep. She then wakes around 11.30 for a feed and then 2.30 and 5.30 so her gaps between NF are getting smaller! On a bad night she will also wake at 12.30 and 1.30 and need to be resettled.

As well as this she has never been a good napper. She will only nap for 30-45 minutes per nap in the daytime which does not seem like enough. I have increased her naps to 4 a day to try to ensure she gets enough sleep in the day but her short naps are also frustrating for me as I feel like I can never get anything done! It does not matter where she naps - in her cot, in her pram or the car they are always the same length!

Since the night wakenings getting worse and also to try and improve her nap times i have managed to get her to put herself to sleep in her cot - before this she was being put to sleep in our arms. She adapted to this very quickly, which is great! However it has not improved her NW or nap time length.
I do have to sit and hold the paci in her mouth until she drops off.
I do wonder if the paci is the reason for her poor day and night sleeps?

In addition to all this I feel that in the past few weeks she has become less interested in feeding in the daytime. Her day feeds have become very short and she often pulls off regularly (BF) and I have to encourage her back on but she will continually pull off, look around, chat etc.

I have tried putting a cover over her so she's not distracted, feeding in the same room she sleeps in and feeding in a quiet place with no distractions but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
At night she feeds well.

Sorry for the essay but I feel these issues may be linked so thought it best to detail it all. I'm just at a loss of what to do and what to start with first.

Can any one help?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Baby sleep and nap help
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 13:44:23 pm »
It's very common at this age to get distracted with the exciting world around them in the day and then make up for missed calories in the night.  It's usually just a phase.  The dummy won't be helping i wouldn't have thought.  What if you offered a bf at that time instead since you're having trouble getting milk into her?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011