Author Topic: 1yo wakes for long period at night  (Read 1413 times)

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
1yo wakes for long period at night
« on: October 07, 2018, 06:13:37 am »
Hi, id love some advice. Things were going really well but over the last week I feel like I have a newborn again.
Dd is 1.3yo and has been sleeping pretty well. WU is 7.30-830, nap at 12.30-1 till 2.00-2.30 and BT 7.30-8 (depending on what time she woke and how tired she is). I still bf when she wakes and BT, sometimes before the nap. She eAts solids well, I went back to work part time when she was 10mo and she went to playgroup, that situation isn’t new. I pick her up after work at 12 and she has her nap at home.
She started walking and sttn about 2 months ago.
She has a bit of a cold now but nothing major.
For the last week DH has been in and out of her room from 11pm. Then 3am-6am I’m in with her, she bf on and off for hours, falls asleep then wakes, takes a few sucks, falls asleep, wakes, few sucks for ages. I’m a human dummy again! She finally falls asleep after around 2h of this  and I go back to bed, then am woken by her at 7.30.
I’m taking her to the dr this week to check her ears but she really is fine during the day and only has a runny nose.
Help, I’m a wreck, irritable and exhausted.

Offline eva026

Re: 1yo wakes for long period at night
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 06:14:40 am »
Oh and she’s not in a cot but in a low bed in her own room.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 06:17:38 am »
Ugh, so hard so get by on so little sleep as an adult/parent! :'(

Definitely a good idea to get ears checked. I found I had a greater than 50% rate of "Aha!" when I did  that (meaning yeah, the ears WERE in fact full of stuff!).

Might also be one-year molars if they're not yet in. Trying pain meds at bedtime and again on waking is an idea worth considering, and if they make a difference, you know it's *some* kind of pain at least, whether teeth or ears or "other"...but it narrows it down, anyway.

Offline eva026

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 07:11:20 am »
Omg canines! I never would have thought to check teeth because she has all the ones she’s supposed to have and canines should be a year away. When you mentioned molars I took a look just in case.

Offline SJS1471

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 07:36:03 am »
Not much help but my lo is also doing the same thing as yours and she turned 1 two weeks ago (I have a thread on here too about it). Last night was the worst and she was up every hour until 12.45 and then gave her calpol and eventually got her back to sleep at after 2 - we are exhausted too and I go back to work this week which isn't great timing!!! Sorry you guys are going through this too 😫 I have wondered ears but she's also fine in the day like your lo and no temp etc and sometimes when she is waking it's to babble and she's not crying etc so I have no idea either what's going on! We had jabs just after her birthday and 2 points of a bottom molar have cut so guess it could all be that or she could be wanting to drop to 1 nap. Sorry to go on on your post but I'm just so stressed with it all!!!

Offline deb

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 12:09:28 pm »
Oh, ugh, canines kicked our butts with DD#1 - they came in One. At. A. Time over about 3 months, during which time she learned the word "Orajel" (our over-the-counter oral numbing gel) that she repeatedly sobbed for when the pain meds wore off and the pain woke her at 2AM. It hadn't occurred to me to do a "dream med" (like a dream feed but a syringe of meds ready to go) to get her thru the night, but if you find it is indeed the teeth, it's a strategy you can try. If you're using nurofen/ibuprofen, though, try to not use that on an empty stomach but use a non-NSAID like paracetamol/acetominophen.

Offline eva026

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 12:02:24 pm »
Deb, I could hug you!
 I’d never heard or doing a df of pain meds, genius😀
it totally worked, we finally had 2 nights in a row of sleep. I’m feeling so guilty though, the poor kid was suffering for a week before I cottoned on that it’s pain.

Offline deb

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 14:57:40 pm »
Oh, bless. I'm just glad it helped!