Author Topic: feeding at night  (Read 86 times)

Offline Alfred96

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 09, 2018, 10:03:39 am »
Hi, I'm new here and i read 2 of the books of the babywhisperer
i have a baby. he is one month and a half only and i dont know exactly how to start to try to make him sleep all night
he is very hungry every 3 hours and it seems to be difficult to make him give up those meals.

thanks for your help!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: feeding at night
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 12:34:15 pm »
Hello and welcome!

Your baby is much too little to be without night feeds yet. Most babies will still have at least 1 night feed until solids are well established after 6 months old.

Every 3 hours is just right for his age and that does include nights too. If you try a dreamfeed you may find he can go until 1/2am after it depending on what times you try it but he will still need to be fed when he wakes at night. As he grows and takes bigger bottles he will need more time between feeds and this helps to get longer stretches through the night.

Sleeping through the night is as much developmental as it is food related, some babies will sleep from a 10pm ish feed until morning younger than others. We weaned my daughter's nightfeed around 8.5 months and she was sleeping through until about 6 am then, but my son didn't really sleep through until he was about 2.5!

For now though enjoy those little baby snuggles and when he wakes in the night feed him and get back to sleep as soon as possible!

Laura

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 598
  • Sydney Australia
Re: feeding at night
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 07:50:58 am »
Its hard when you dont get much sleep, but its normal for a 6 week old baby to feed every 3 hours (or less) around the clock.
"Sleeping through the night" at around 3-4 months is considered 5-6 hours and many babies still need 1-2 feeds at night for many months to come.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline adewey

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 05:49:44 »
Your baby has confused day and night. You need to keep your baby awake...or wake him/her up after each 3-4 hrs not let sleep longer... I always bring my baby downstairs to the living room during the day and at 7-8pm we go upstairs to bath and then feed and go to dark nursery....with dim light and quiet music