Author Topic: 8 month old weaning and dropping bottles  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Gella75

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 09, 2018, 21:20:25 pm »
So my 8 month old little girl is not the best eater but seems to be gradually getting a bit better. She was having 4 bottles a day as well as 3 meals (not eating much sometime). However I found that she wasn’t really having much of her bottles in the day time. So I tried to cut her down to 3 bottles a day. She drank more of them but then she started screaming for a bottle at around 4-5pm even if she had just had her tea.
Current routine is 7am bottle, 8am breakfast, 12pm lunch, 1pm bottle, 4pm bottle, 5pm tea and 7pm bottle and bed. She now drinks her bottles except at bedtime and only has a couple of ounces before bed! I would rather cut out the 4pm and her have a full bottle at bed time! Anyone got any ideas on adjusting my routine? Or how to cut out the bottle without her being starving for it?
Thanks

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 8 month old weaning and dropping bottles
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 21:52:03 pm »
How much is she taking per bottle?

Have you tried offering her solids at 4pm instead of the bottle? If she eats a bit earlier she should be ready for that bedtime bottle then.

My Dd was about 8.5 months when we dropped to 3 bottles and out routine was a wake up bottle, breakfast, lunch, pre nap bottle, the and bedtime bottle. She wasn't drinking much before we dropped one but was then taking at least 7oz per bottle.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline Gella75

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 05:33:14 am »
She usually has between 6-7 oz but a bit hit and miss with a couple bottles which is why I feel she’s ready to drop one. So yesterday I did try food at 4om instead but she then was ready for bottle at 6pm. Just can’t seem to get the balance just right.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 11:11:30 am »
You have only just changed the routine though so it will take a while to adjust, kept it and see how she goes.

You could offer a slightly smaller bottle at 6pm if she needs one at that time and then top her up with a bit more milk when she's ready for sleep. Be guided by her, there's no right or wrong!

Laura