Author Topic: Been awahile ... but now it’s back to frequent wakings  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Been awahile ... but now it’s back to frequent wakings
« on: October 14, 2018, 03:22:19 am »
Baby boy is 17 months, has all his teeth now and walking etc. We moved him to one nap a day earlier on around 10 months. He started daycare at 15 months and his naps would be from 45 mins to and hour and 15 mins at times. When he is home with us on the weekends he usually naps around 2/3 hrs which is what he generally did before daycare as well.  Now he wakes frequently through the night and takes forever to get him to settle. Previous, he would wake up cry a bit find his soother and go back to bed. Now he cries and cries and when I go in and sooth his he holds on for dear life and some times is hyperventilate. So I’m not sure what’s going on or what to do! He falls asleep easily, it’s usually bath, snack, soother, book, bed. He usually wakes around 7:30-8:30 depending if he woke in the night.

Wake- 7:30
Snack/ breakfast - 7:30
Snack 9
Lunch 11
Nap 11:30/12- 2 ish
Snack 3
Supper 5/5:30
Bed 7:30

And the routine for daycare is pretty similar to this as well except for the nap. When he only sleeps and hour he goes to bed at 7pm.

Please help! I don’t know what happened too baby boy!!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Been awahile ... but now it’s back to frequent wakings
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 07:52:49 am »
Hi there
It sounds like the 18 month regression might have started, it can be earlier than 18 months.
The usual suggestion is to hang on to your routine and just wait it out, sooth and comfort when needed of course.  I found though that mine needed a routine change involving longer A times.
It's a big developmental leap at 18 months and can go on for a couple of months.

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 13:51:23 pm »
I think he needs longer activity time as well. He had a 1:30mins nap yesterday and went to bed at 8 and was up from 2:30-4:45!!! I think if I push his nap from 12/12:30 and maybe cap it at 1:30 a day and bed time at 8 should work? He wakes at that time and he just doesn’t seem tired or takes forever to settle. I think he just needs an adjustment in his routine. On the weekend he went to bed at 12-3 and bedtime was at 9 and he woke at 7:30/8am the next day with no wake ups. I’m just wondering what should the nap time start and how long and when should bedtime be? He usually on the low end of sleep.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 19:22:25 pm »
I think if nap has usually been at 11.30/12 then shifting to 12/12.30 is a good idea.  I'd end the nap at the usual time and try BT at the usual time.  If there is a lot of resistance at BT I'd probably move than later too but as a more temporary thing which you can bring earlier when the 18 month regression passes.
Try to get at least 10 hrs over night if not longer.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 21:11:51 pm »
Given he moved to one nap at 10mo, it does sound like he could be at the low sleep end & the 12hours overnight with a nap in the day is probably expecting too much sleep. I know my LSN child did better on 10.5hours overnight & a decent nap. Right from when he was little I used to say he was more textbook for the length of his A time, but LSN for his sleep & he would ideally have a 23 hour day & in the end it worked out better to shorten the night & have a slightly longer nap.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05