Author Topic: 4 week old - Moses Basket help  (Read 4653 times)

Offline newfather

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 15, 2018, 19:25:57 pm »
Our 4 week old girl completely refuses to sleep in her Moses basket - she slept for 30 minutes once and the rest of the time she will either wake immediately or within 10 minutes maximum of being put down whilst asleep.

I understand that this is quite common but we have no ideas on how to try to address this - typically she sleeps on me for2-3 hours while my wife gets an early night so I am loath to try putting her down as my wife is relying on the couple of hours solid sleep. Baby is exclusively breast fed.

Any ideas?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 4 week old - Moses Basket help
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 21:12:58 pm »
Hi there, its so tough when they are so tiny and they just crave the smells and warmth of mummy or daddy.
How/where does she sleep in the day? Has this just started or is she getting more unsettled?
Have you tried white noise, I remember downloading an app that was the womb sound replica. Also could mum wear the Moses basket sheet for a couple of hours to make it smell if her, slightly raising one end of the basket can help if you think she’s in discomfort from wind etc.

Honestly though neither of mine slept great in Moses baskets, DS1 was in a big cot at 10 weeks and DS2 spent a lot of time on us as he had bad reflux.
Zoe

Offline newfather

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 22:06:31 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

We've tried the usual tricks - garment smelling of mum/dad, hot water bottle to warm the sheets, raising the head end. None of this seemed to make much difference. I also tried her in her older sisters old cot and didn't seem to make much difference. I already use white noise when getting her over to sleep if she hasn't fed to sleep but this makes no difference in the basket.

She sleeps in her mums arms during the day and they co sleep at night, for lack of an alternative. I took 4 weeks paternity leave and she slept on me for a nap or two as well.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 15:22:28 pm »
It’s exhausting isn’t it, I’m sure I’ve blocked it out.

Is she having any discomfort?
Zoe

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 19:48:36 pm »
Is mum feeding to sleep lying face to face on their sides so she doesn't have to move her once asleep?  I'm sure you have but do be sure you research safe bedsharing and don't use duvets etc near baby.

It's very normal for them to need close contact in the early weeks. It's often called the fourth trimester. I couldn't put my fourth down until about 12wks without her waking within 10 minutes. We used a Chicco Next 2 Me bedside crib for the first 8 months. It has the adjoining side removed so you can bf lying down and then roll away and leave baby in her own space without moving her. I'd highly recommend it. In the evenings we just took it in turns snuggling baby whilst we watched tv and took her up when we went to bed around midnight. It's not forever and I really miss those sleepy cuddles now she's nearly 11mo.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline newfather

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 14:03:07 pm »
That is essentially what we're doing - shifts in the evening with baby. They're co sleeping on side, my wife is quite paranoid about co sleeping safety having done some with our eldest daughter as well but thanks for the reminder.

I don't think she's in any discomfort save for some wind - I don't think there's any silent reflux based off her cries.

Offline newfather

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 13:49:57 pm »
Just going to bump this in case anyone has any more thoughts as our 4 week old who won't sleep in a moses basket/cot/etc.  has now become an 11 week old with the same problem.  She has been through a 4 week trial of Omeprazole for suspected silent reflux and we are considering putting her back on but it made no appreciable difference to sleep, habits were the same as described in the original post.  She is BF and mum has been dairy free for the last 3.5 weeks to see if that will help also, with no effect so far.

Or are we fighting the tide with a baby that just wants to be held?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 13:52:27 pm by newfather »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 19:49:42 pm »
I agree with what the previous posters have said about young babies just really wanting to be held.
What I did was to change the way my DS slept "on" me (or his daddy) so that we were more hands off, or just one hand on.  It wasn't the same every time but as example:
when sitting on the sofa instead of full on snuggles all the way through the sleep it was full on cuddles to sleeping or almost asleep then laying on a pillow on my lap rather than *in arms* or *over the shoulder* type holding.
or
when on the sofa putting LO on the sofa next to me, right up against my leg for comfort and I'd have a hand on him...but he was learning to sleep on something other than me (as above not *in arms*)
or
I'd sit on the floor and set up a large flattish pillow or folded blanket next to me to lower him onto and keep one hand on him, rub or pat or jiggle if needed
or
at night he slept in a hammock next to my bed but I would leave my hand on him when needed (and I'd sleep like that)

basically I had many hands on him and gave heaps of reassurance but at the same time I would put him down and get him more used to feeling the weight of his own body on another surface rather than being held up.
My DS was younger than yours is now but I am sure the same approach can be tried, it is the same as gradual and gentle sleep training with shush/pat by picking up wherever needed but also getting LO used to sleeping without being in arms.
I like the sound of the co-sleeper crib Ali mentioned too, I think they are great for providing closeness but own space to gently teach LO they can sleep alone but mum/dad will always respond when needed (or keep a hand on).

My DS also turned out to have silent reflux which wasn't diagnosed or medicated until about 5.5 months.