Author Topic: 2yo, difficult to settle and early waking  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Bera

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
2yo, difficult to settle and early waking
« on: October 16, 2018, 06:28:51 am »
My 26mo has had a great routine for some time, bar the usual blips occasionally. His routine is usually
WU 7
Naptime 1.45-2.45 (I usually have to wake him to preserve bedtime)
Bedtime 7.45/8

A few months ago, the nap was closer to 1pm but I Gradually moved it later which has worked well to stop early wakings and short naps. But recently, he has been getting upset before naptime and bedtime, saying that he doesn’t want to go to sleep and cries and gets frustrated. Even though, he self-settles to sleep within 5-10 mins of being put in his cot.

Also, he’s now started to wake up crying hysterically around 5.30/5.45, and he won’t settle back to sleep. Not even if we cuddle him and stay with him. I’m having to stay with him bc he cries so much that he even wakes up deep-sleeping Dad! 😬

What should I do...? Push naptime later and still cap it? Earlier bedtime? Wake to sleep I’m the morning? I’m not sure where to start...

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: 2yo, difficult to settle and early waking
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 12:16:24 pm »
Depending on where you are in the world, if you have a time change coming, you may want to wait this out until your clocks change. It may work itself out.

Offline Bera

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 07:03:32 am »
Hi Deb

We’re in the UK so the clocks go back in a week which means he’ll wake up even earlier 😬
I think I’ll try slightly earlier bedtime to tackle the early WU and stay with him if he doesn’t settle. Fingers crossed!

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 18:01:09 pm »
Not sure I’ll be much help but I’ve struggled on and off with my now 3 yr old and ewu's. They seemed bad at first but looking back at least when she still napped we could catch her up a little. Now she doesn’t we just opt for an earlyish bedtime, but not too early to completely mess up everything and encourage ewu’s  :o
It really is mind boggling and very draining and although people say you’re not alone and we know there are other children out there doing the same, it still feels pants when it’s happening to you.
We’re in the middle of our latest bedtime issues and now we’ve got a chest infection so sleep is off again. Although she has been brighter she is now playing us to sleep in our bed as we allowed her when she was coughing so bad at the weekend!!
I also noticed that my littly always has sleep probs leading up to clock changes, whether that means anything who knows, but so far we’ve always just ridden the storm and stuck to the new time, give or take 15-30 mins to help keep ot at bay.
To add insult to injury, I have anxiety and sleep is my trigger so you can imagine what I’m like right now  :'(
If it’s any consolation, my now 4.5yr old nephew was a nightmare until he was almost 4 and now most days my brother and his wife have to wake him!! Oh the bliss of a lie in til 7 would be amazing, or 6 would be great right now  :'(