Author Topic: Thumb sucking to sleep  (Read 2210 times)

Offline sszskristy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 29, 2018, 10:10:29 am »
DD started to suck her thumb to self settle to sleep since she was 4 mth old. Now she is turning 4 in December. So I've been seriously thinking to break this habit. We've been talking about this since last year and she knows she can only do this for bedtime. I've tried some ideas but they all failed. I tried wrap bandage around her thumb but she can always take them off. And I bought her a new soft toy which was a cat to replace her baby blanket when she was 2.5, but this cat became her new comforter and she still suck thumb to sleep while holding the cat.I have read a lot articles about this and they all say children will drop this habit between 3-4 yrs old and not to worry about it until 6-7 yrs old. The good thing is that I do notice the time she suck her thumb to fall asleep have been reduced. She will take her thumb out before she fall asleep. But she also suck her thumb in the morning when she is not fully wake up.
So any advice or experience? Do I need to really worry about this at this age? And to be honest I prefer to let it happen naturally but not force her like using the bad taste thing on her thumb. But I really have no idea how long it is going to last. Please help ladies~

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 19:37:04 pm »
This may not be very helpful but I was a thumb sucker to sleep and I was about 12 when I stopped. My mum tried all kinds as did the dentist but nothing worked. I just naturally stopped as far as I can remember and my teeth never suffered as a result. Try not to worry too much x

Offline sszskristy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 08:54:56 am »
This may not be very helpful but I was a thumb sucker to sleep and I was about 12 when I stopped. My mum tried all kinds as did the dentist but nothing worked. I just naturally stopped as far as I can remember and my teeth never suffered as a result. Try not to worry too much x

Thank you, this did help. I’m still wordering if your thumb looks normal now because there is already something like warts on her thumb.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Thumb sucking to sleep
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 09:15:18 am »
My 6.5yr old still sucks just fingers at BT, I’ve tried rewards and constant telling him fingers out etc but it makes no difference. I’m just hoping he gives up soon. He has some hard skin on his fingers and teeth are ok. Dentist said they don’t worry too much these days as often kids wear braces anyway x
Zoe

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 13:34:02 pm »
My thumbs are perfectly normal xx

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 19:27:17 pm »
Dentist said they don’t worry too much these days as often kids wear braces anyway
My DS was never a thumb sucker but I had to stop by to comment on this. It's a different attitude to what we are used to isn't it?  I was very surprised by this but only for a second because you're absolutely right, far more teenagers have braces now and their teeth are straightened fully until they have that film star smile. That wasn't the case a generation or two back.
I suppose it could still be a problem for children who may not be able to cope with the dental work to have braces fitted (I'm thinking additional needs).

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 19:58:59 pm »
It surprised me too but like you say everyone has them these days, in my youth it was a huge thing x
Zoe

Offline sszskristy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 09:23:45 am »
My thumbs are perfectly normal xx
Thank you😊

Offline sszskristy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 09:47:39 am »
My 6.5yr old still sucks just fingers at BT, I’ve tried rewards and constant telling him fingers out etc but it makes no difference. I’m just hoping he gives up soon. He has some hard skin on his fingers and teeth are ok. Dentist said they don’t worry too much these days as often kids wear braces anyway x

It was such a coincidence that she just lost her comforter at supermarket yesterday. I was so worried that she couldn’t sleep without it. But she didn’t even cry, she picked another soft toy and she just cuddled it without sucking thumb. But it did take her a long time like 40minutes to fall asleep. I think she only suck thumb when she hold her comforter, she didn’t even know where she should put her hands and she just kept rolling over in the bed. But she finally went to sleep without any drama. Then something amazing happened, I wrote a post on FB asking about our comforter and somebody messaged me very soon. A lady found our toy in the shop and she gave it back to us at night. When I got it, I really wanted to hide it because she was fine without it and it was such a good opportunity to break the habit. But I finally give up. She didn’t even say goodbye, that was just too cruel.
she had a good sleep without night waking and she was so happy to see her comforter just sitting in her bed this morning. And I had a little talk with her today about how good she was last night and emphasized that she was able to sleep without sucking thumb.
Now she is sleeping with her comforter. And I reminded her again before I left her room. I came back to her room 10minutes later and she already fell asleep. She was just cuddling her toy and her hand was far away from her mouth. I hope it is a sign that she is going to drop it very soon. And I am happy that I did give her comforter back.