Author Topic: 20 month old night waking for an hour to 2 hours at a time  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
20 month old night waking for an hour to 2 hours at a time
« on: January 14, 2019, 19:53:58 pm »
Babes is 20 months old, last month or so he has been waking a few times in the night sometimes just for a few minutes and others for an hour to 2 hours before he finally settles again.
Typical day is 6:30 WU
Nap 12:15-1:30 sometimes 1:45
Bed time 7pm

He has always been on the low side of sleep. Last night he was awake from 12:30-2:30, and woke at 7:30 to start the day. Is it time to drop the nap to perhaps just a quick 45 cap nap and if so what time do you reckon bedtime and nap time should occur?

He has bronchitis at the moment, but is on day 6 of 7 for antibiotics. So I’ve been giving into his whines as he has been sick. But even previous to getting sick this was his normal routine- up all hours of the night it would seem.

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 20 month old night waking for an hour to 2 hours at a time
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 18:10:00 pm »
Yesterday’s sleep schedule:
Woke at 7:30
Nap12:15-1:30
Sleep 7:15pm
Woke 1:48 - gave water and Advil and resettled in crib sleep by 1:55( haha fooled you! Up crying asking for mommy at 2:25)
Waited a few minutes Went in and out until 4am.
Will at 6:30 am

Totally combined sleep with naps and night wakings is almost 12 hrs. Should I maybe work towards cutting the nap ( dropping it) and shoot for early bedtime?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 20:32:26 pm »
Hi, I’d wait until he’s fully better. He may be waking from discomfort and need you to resettle.

Once he’s better if he is low sleep needs then I’d try the 45 min nap maybe around 1.30/2pm. How is his general mood with the less sleep? If he copes ok then he could be ready to start the nap dropping process. My DS 2 dropped his around 26 months old but I know some that stopped at around age 2.
Zoe

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 21:45:55 pm »
He is usually okay for the most part. If I let him nap on the weekend he would sleep for 2 hrs. I’ll try for the 45 min nap around 1 and cap at 45 mins and what time should I aim for bedtime at?

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 04:15:16 am »
I’m seeing  you gave Advil at 1.48am. Advil is ibuprofen which if given on an empty stomach can cause stomach pain... I learned the hard way with my DS1 that his sleep was worse with Ibuprofen even if given with food. So for him I could only give paracetamol based pain killers. So it maybe why he settled then up again crying.

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 05:11:49 am »
Thanks for the heads up on the Advil! I did not know that!
So far he went to bed at 7:15 and woke at 12:30... I’m so exhausted I just took him into my bed which is not ideal.