Author Topic: 14m early morning wake up post 2 to 1 nap transition  (Read 6858 times)

Offline lovingdad

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 14m early morning wake up post 2 to 1 nap transition
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 17:09:31 pm »
back up at 5.15 this morning, and 5.20 yesterday. he was toying with our emotions on Tuesday waking up at 6.15 :( he definitely needs more sleep, i just dont know how to :(

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 07:39:22 am »
Hi how are things, sorry I’ve had hard week with my 2 boys?
Zoe

Offline lovingdad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 10:15:00 am »
no problem, hope this week is a little better for you

so we done regular re-assurance when he woke up at 5am going in at 5/6/9 min intervals and after 2 days he is now waking past 6am thankfully. hopefully is lasts

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 16:25:43 pm »
Good to know he’s sleeping better.
Zoe

Offline lovingdad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 13:51:09 pm »
sorry, back with this again now :( after those 2 days he fell really ill, and has been on and off since and the early wake up are still there. He is 16.5months now, and his schedule is as follows:

5/5.15am wake up
6.30am 5oz milk
7.30am breakfast
10am snack
11.30am lunch
12.30pm-2pm nap
3pm snack
4.30pm dinner
6pm snack
6.45pm 8oz milk and asleep by 7pm

he wakes every morning yawning and crying, i dont think he is getting enough sleep at night. he falls asleep by himself at night and for his naps, but im at a loose end how to get him waking up later. any suggestions welcome. thanks

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 22:17:32 pm »
but im at a loose end how to get him waking up later.
I say this half tongue in cheek, but mostly because from a BTDT experience it really was the only thing that worked.... "wait until he is a teenager!"

TBH with my early riser, it was mostly a case of longer naps & early bedtimes as he was just programmed to be a sparrow up at the crack of dawn or before. Now at 13, he's often not up until 7am... which is not really late compared to peers, but is for him.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline lovingdad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 13:19:37 pm »
the thing is i know he can wake later as  he used to before the clocks went back. His meal times and nap times were reset pretty easily, as was bedtime - its just wake up which is tough. last night he was up at 4.20. after trying to get him to go back down for over an hour, i left the house at 6.10am and he slept for an hour and 10 mins in the car before nursery opened at 7.30. i know hes still tired, hes just being stubborn and fighting it. just dont know why :(

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2019, 07:27:47 am »
How have the last few days been.?
Zoe

Offline lovingdad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 15:41:08 pm »
still not great. we have decided to gradually cut down his afternoon nap from 1hr30 to 1hr 15 for a few days and if need be down to 1hr.  we tried putting him to sleep earlier thinking he was falling into a deep sleep too quickly but that did not help. We are thinking he is having too much sleep during the day, so waking fully from his sleep cycle around 5am. praying this works

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 20:24:36 pm »
Good luck let us know
Zoe

Offline lovingdad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2019, 08:39:09 am »
didnt go well at all. he was so tired, woke up at 9pm and went back to sleep himself, then crying at 3.30 (slept in mums arms) and then again at 5am (slept in arms again). eventually got up at 6.10am :(

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2019, 07:30:13 am »
Have you got any new teeth in the mix?
Zoe

Offline lovingdad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2019, 11:15:41 am »
canines seemed to be coming through but nothing yet. he is going through a spurt as he has been overly hungry for the past 4 days and eating alot! we resorted to controlled crying which we had done previously at 4m and 7m (which worked a treat), and after 2 nights of it, the 3rd night we had to wake him at 6.45am yesterday, and 6.25am today so it seemed to work. both nights he was asleep at 7.15pm. He stood up in his cot at 5.20am (my body clock seems to wake me up at 5 and stay up unfortunately) but didnt hear a peep out of him, he ended up going back to sleep thankfully. two good nights of 7.15pm-6.45am and 7.15pm-6.25am, tomorrow will be the true test when he has nursery for 3 days! i think he has now learnt that based on his sleep cycle the brief wakeup at 5am is not wake up time. fingers crossed this continues.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2019, 03:48:10 am »
It's a shame you resorted t controlled crying (especially at such young ages as 4 & 7mo) as while it "works", it breaks the trust a child has that their needs will be met & they tend to sleep based on a combination of exhaustion & lack of faith that their needs will be met.  One nurse I know who works with a baby sleep centre described it like having a new program to use at work & someone giving you the program & telling you what they want you to achieve & then ducking their head in every so often to check you are achieving, without giving training in it. Eventually, you give up trying.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline lovingdad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2019, 08:49:05 am »
It's a shame you resorted t controlled crying (especially at such young ages as 4 & 7mo) as while it "works", it breaks the trust a child has that their needs will be met & they tend to sleep based on a combination of exhaustion & lack of faith that their needs will be met.  One nurse I know who works with a baby sleep centre described it like having a new program to use at work & someone giving you the program & telling you what they want you to achieve & then ducking their head in every so often to check you are achieving, without giving training in it. Eventually, you give up trying.

i disagree - each to their own, i wouldnt be so quick to judge what others do...the idea of these forums is to offer advice/guidance on previous experiences. i'd trust the UK's National Health Service over one nurse's opinion/analogy. there is no scientific evidence of this being harmful or breaking a childs trust.