Author Topic: weaning the pacifier 2 and 3 year old  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
weaning the pacifier 2 and 3 year old
« on: March 27, 2018, 23:57:11 pm »
My boys both only use the paci for sleep, but I am thinking it's time to look at dropping it as 3.5 is about time! I was thinking I would try and do both at the same time because otherwise he will just see brothers ones all the time. One problem is that brother uses them as lovies too. (He sleeps with 4/5 and changes them in and out and sleeps holding them...)

help!?

(Oh, we still have regular NW with both  ::)  )

Offline dache

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
Re: weaning the pacifier 2 and 3 year old
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 14:14:37 pm »
I'm no expert in this. We prolonged weaning for way more than I'd ever tought. But this is how we did it, it may be helpul because like your ds, dd slept with 3-4 every night.
I bought a pack of pacis and told her that those were the last ones we are buying. Once she brakes them or loses them, that's it, no more pacis. Each time we needed to throw one away I'd tell her ok, now you have x more left, when they are done we are not buying any more. I think repeating this helped a lot. She tore some, lost some, some fell off the bed and we couldnt find. The last one fell off in the middle of the night and we couldnt find it, we told her we'll look in the morning, she went back to sleep and in the morning we told  her it was gone and there are no more pacis.
We were quite surrprised that it worked ( we've talked about it a lot, I've taken them away but gave them back because she was upset, we put them in an envelope to send to santa, but those methods didnt wprk)  but when bt came that day she needed extra cuddles but went to sleep without any problems.

Hope that helps.

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 00:43:33 am »
Thanks! so how old was she?

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 07:28:36 am »
She was exactly the same age as your lo when I started. She had loads so it took some time to go trough them all but she was weaned before she was 4.

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 09:24:01 am »
Hey, my dd was 2 when we started. Someone here told me st start by poking little holes in them with a pin, adding a few more every few days. Also taking a lot and telling her that it’s time to give the dummy to other babies who need them and the dummy fairy would come take the dummy for another baby and leave a present instead.
It worked really well, by the time the dummy fairy came the dummies weren’t working so well because of the holes and the fairy left her a lovey in the form of a teddy.

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 18:48:28 pm »
Thanks Eva - we eventually did something similar but now he takes 2 hours (only 1 week later) to go to sleep and needs one of us to lie with him.