Author Topic: 3months old- After short nap she stays up for 2hrs. how?  (Read 1517 times)

Offline elamom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
3months old- After short nap she stays up for 2hrs. how?
« on: November 14, 2018, 16:30:29 pm »
Hello ladies,

My DD2 of 14 weeks, use to be a great napper.  Not so much lately.  We have been having issues with naps since she was 11weeks old. I have been trying to find the right A time, which seems to be around 1;30.   She does show sings of being tired at around 1:20-1:25. Sometimes we get good naps some not.  She does not have any props (tried to avoid them as with DD1 we had done major AP and props, so decided for DD2 let's not do any (if possible) or we would be struggling for the next years with naps and BT), she doesn't use a pacifier, normally she will go to sleep easy, she will find her hand or coos for a bit.

My questions is when she has these short naps 30-40minutes, how much A should I aim for?  And what kind of A?
 I have tried to put her back in the crib after 1hr, 1:20, 1:30 of her waking up, but regardless of what time I put her in she continues to remain awake in bed for 20-40minutes. Like today after 35minute morning nap she was up for 1:50hr.   The A is very low key, just holding and talking to her.  Do I need to have a more stimulating A so she can get tired?  Or is she OT that's why it takes a long time to go back to sleep?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 3months old- After short nap she stays up for 2hrs. how?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 14:59:38 pm »
Hi there
it could just be that your LO is a bit ahead of her age on the guidance A times. They are only guidance.  some LOs like to have longer A times and if they don't get those they don't nap well. If she is lying awake in her cot I would try a longer A time.  As a guide at 4 months a LO can handle 2hrs, if a LO is lower sleep needs or just likes longer A times this 2hr A time might come earlier than 4 months, hope that makes sense.

Again with the low key A times, this suits lots of LOs but not all. If she isn't tired or stimulated enough with them then I'd try something else. Mine was very keen to get a lot of stimulation and activity in his A time and when it came to nap time he only wanted a short wind down so that it didn't take up too much of his activity time.  There's no harm in trying something new and just seeing how it goes.