Author Topic: 27 months - still sleeping problems  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Margarita90

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
27 months - still sleeping problems
« on: November 16, 2018, 09:44:43 am »
My son has problems with sleep from early beginning. (we liive in UK)
Every time when I thought I found a way for him to sleep better, he was or sick or teething or was something else what ruined all .
At the moment he has good routine as he is going to nursery since 14 months and every day is for him similar.
they have there 1 hour nap at 12:30 and if is weekend and he doesn't want a nap then he is falling asleep earlier in the evening. So I guess he still needs it.
Im bathing him around 7 pm and after it he is falling asleep in his cot bed in his room (since 14mo) , with baby music (as in nursery they doing it as well) and his milk.
All could be fine..but 1 thing is he is screaming if Im going out from room so I have to be always there and hold his hand till he fall asleep.
and second thing he is screaming at night : Mummy.  (waking up a few times) as long as i will come and hold his hand to sleep.
Sometimes is working without hand but still i have to sit near him.
I was trying or come asap or wait till maybe he will stop screaming at night (5 minutes - but never if he cried. I tried also speak by camera or giving him more light) but even if both ways were working sometimes when he was younger. now they are not..

example: last night he woke up with screaming at 2:30 and didn't fall asleep till 4:30 and woke up in the morning around 6:30.
night before he woke up 3 - 4 times with the same screaming: Mum. and woke up in the morning at 5:30.

Im full time working mum..
Im exhausted.. and it is since 27 months..
Margaret
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 10:04:26 am by Margarita90 »

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 27 months - still sleeping problems
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 16:26:40 pm »
Hi sorry you’ve had no replies yet, are things the same?
Zoe

Offline Margarita90

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 14:19:32 pm »
yes. he has problems with sleep.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 05:46:49 am »
It's fairly normal for humans to go into semi-awake stages at night, normally fully waking comes because there is a factor eg a noise or something on the mind.  2yo go through a lot of mental growth & with that, they are understanding relationships better and when they are away from their "primary connection" (usually Mothers) they often choose the night to "demand" that connection that they naturally require.

So in many ways, maybe it's not really about the routine, but his physical need to know that you are there when he needs you.

Also because he needs your hand as he falls asleep, when he gets into a light sleep cycle, his body is programmed to expect the same conditions. So he probably needs you to gradually wean off the hand holding. Swap to a gentle pat, then slowly less pat over time (days not one evening) Then over a week or more if you can get to the point you are just in the room without the touch, you can move your self further from his bedside. When you get to a point that you are near the door you could do timed leaving. Where you literally tell him "Mummy is just ..." & you duck out of sight for a few seconds & return & over time you make it 10 seconds then 20 etc. It's a journey to fix it, many weeks & it may not even solve the night wakes if it's emotional.
I know for us the issues were more related to a sibling being born & shared focus & for my DH & myself we ended up putting a mattress on the floor in his room & camping out there so we could get the sleep we needed. It didn't last for ever, but it got us to a point that we were less exhausted.

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05