Author Topic: Baby doesn't cry OR sleep  (Read 4210 times)

Offline mcc480

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 09, 2019, 16:50:37 pm »
Help - I'm sure the answer is in these forums somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. What do you do when the baby doesn't cry, but also doesn't sleep, even when you know that they're tired?  My son will give all the sleep cues (and will have been up for an age-appropriate amount of time), but when I put him down, he'll just fuss and roll around for HOURS, but not sleep unless we give up and go back to our old sleep props.  Do I just let this go on for 2 weeks until he gets it?  Will he get it?  He just seems to get crazily overtired, which seems like it would make success even less likely. 

Background: I successfully used the PU/PD method with him when he was 5 months old, and we had about a month of blessedly easy nights.  Then he went through almost 2 months of back-to-back illnesses, needed tons of soothing, and we totally regressed and went back to the old sleep props. Round 2 of PU/PD just isn't going as well...

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Baby doesn't cry OR sleep
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 21:07:43 pm »
Not sure how old your Lo is, but I can see at least 7months. So I assume he is on 2 naps per day.

It maybe that he is low sleep needs and needs longer A time and can get by less sleep. It may also be he is underestimulated in his Awake times and needs more to do and see. As they get older it’s not just time awake, but what happens in the time awake that tires them out for sleep.

Also while not as restorative as sleep, down time in the crib does recharge.

Sometimes too yawns can be, ‘this activity is boring, can we do something different’ and 15 mins walking around the garden or being read stories can be enough for them to actually be tired rather than just losing interest in the activity they were doing.

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05