Author Topic: Getting distracted 8mo to get well during day  (Read 1775 times)

Offline airam

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Getting distracted 8mo to get well during day
« on: December 23, 2018, 08:24:58 am »
I try to nurse on demand and started solids but he refuses most of the time. Heeats a little from purees and blw. If hes waking up so much at night bc of hunger, then i need to find a way to fill him up during the day.

My ideas:
1. Allow my toddler to binge watch youtube vids to keep him quiet while i keep my 8mo in a quiet room to nurse. Only problem is that he gets sleepy.
2. For BT, after doing this for a day, have someone else put him to sleep and back to sleep when hewakes up at night. Allowto nurse if he wakes up mutiple times in an hour or after1am.

Wu 10am (hed sleep in longer if id let him).
N1 1pm-3pm (try for 1.5-2hrs sometimes i have to resettle with nursing)
N2 6pm-7.30pm (wake up)
Bt around 10ish or a bit earlier

Note: hes alllwaaays still so sleepy and cranky after 2hr a time.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 12:58:07 pm by airam »

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Getting distracted 8mo to get well during day
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 10:41:38 am »
At his age many babies don't eat a lot of solids & it's really only about taste & not filling him up. Milk is still the major source of nutrients, so yes filling him up in the day on milk is most important. Although by 6 months & more many babies can take a full feed in 5mins (sometimes even 3mins) & so even though it doesn't feel like they might be taking much they can be taking quite a lot & the night feeds could be more about comfort as they are for food.

Looking at your example above you've got him having 3.5hours day sleep & 12.5 hours at night which is 16hours total, which is A LOT for a 8mo (it's more about average for 3mo).

It may be that he's got a messed up Circadium rhythm. The most natural rhythm for humans is around dawn to dusk & I'm guessing that sleeping until 10am may be due to the disrupted sleep & the being tired & cranky at 9.30 could be less about how much time he's been awake in the day but that naturally, the body reacts to dark by being tired. Depending on how long the night wakings are they are robbing from day "awake" & the feeding has become a habit. I wonder if you were to shift his wake up to about 8am and then have his naps the same sort of timing as you've got, but try & get a bit longer awake time in the evening.

Also if you are finding he is waking a lot & the only way possible to settle him is by breast feeding it could be that he has fluid build up in his ears & him lying down at night brings about pain.  My DS1 had fluid build up (but no sign of ear infections ) & it disrupted his sleep.  Also babies who are mouth breathers can wake up more too, so it may not even be related to feeding or routine.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline airam

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 13:00:25 pm »
Oh, i thought they need two naps for about 1.5-2hrs eacha day. I need to look up normal schedules.

Do you think i can just wake him up tomorrow at 9am and then try 830, then 8?

I get what you mean. Ill look up schedules now

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 00:59:59 am »
It is pretty normal to need naps around that length, but it's the 12.5 hours at night that makes it possible you are expecting too much sleep as a baby getting 2 x 2 hour naps at 8mo is more likely to be having  11 hours at night rather than 12.5 hours
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline airam

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 21:38:31 pm »
I dobt expect him to be asleep for 12 or even 12.5 hrs. I woukd love for uim to sleep 3hrs straight! Right now hes up  every 1-2hrs and i just give up after the 12hr mark since my toddler is up.

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 23:05:16 pm »
I dobt expect him to be asleep for 12 or even 12.5 hrs. I woukd love for uim to sleep 3hrs straight! Right now hes up  every 1-2hrs and i just give up after the 12hr mark since my toddler is up.

But he's in bed for 12+ hours & so the amount of time he's getting "stimulation" when he is up & awake is less and so maybe he's not actually mentally tired enough to get into deep sleep & carry himself through the light sleep stages & because he's got into the habit of feeding when he wakes up his body digestion doesn't shut down

I'd also get his ears checked as fluid in the ears (without ear infection) & mouth breathing were definitely causes of poor sleep fr my DS1
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 21:09:54 pm »
It's really common for babies this age to be distracted in the day and catch up on feeds at night. How many feeds is he having in the day? Are you offering regularly?

By 8mo even though you've started with purees I'd expect him to be moving on to chunkier solid foods. It's unlikely he still needs it pureed. What sort of thing are you offering? How often? Good fats and protein might help fill him up. As pp said though milk is still his main source for nutrition until 12mo. Breastmilk can help digest solid foods and help wash it down so maybe offer to breastfeed after each solids meal or snack as well as offering water with the solid food. Over the next couple of months he'll likely start taking more solids too.

Where does he sleep and how does he fall asleep? Is he just used to a boob in his mouth when he needs to get back to sleep do you think?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011