Author Topic: End of breastfeeding?  (Read 3294 times)

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: January 14, 2019, 12:00:34 pm »
Hi all my son Oliver is 2.5 years old and we have been gently weaning using the don’t offer, distract but don’t refuse if he’s really upset method and he hasn’t breast fed for 2 weeks. Does this mean he’s weaned or can I expect him to start asking again? The reason I’m asking is because he has milk soya allergies I’ve cut out milk and soya from my diet too whilst feeding but now he’s stopped I’m starting to get very excited about chocolate and lasagna and milk in my tea  ;D. But don’t want to start dairy again if it’s likely he’ll want to feed again. Thanks so much for taking time to read this Laura 

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: End of breastfeeding?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 22:29:20 pm »
I'd say by 2 weeks he's finished.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 10:52:15 am »
I think it might depend on the LO.  He may well be finished though and won't ever ask again.

On the other hand, if he does ask again (perhaps if he's feeling unwell/scared/sad or just needing comfort) but you'd like him to be finished (and chocolate and lasagne and milk in tea do sound like very good reasons for that! ;) ;D), you could perhaps tell him that your milk has run out now and offer him an alternative drink and a cuddle if he wants one.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 12:36:33 pm »
Thank you. He’s still not asked and he’s sleeping through so hopefully he won’t ask but I’ve decided it’s time to finish anyway even if he does ask. He can clearly cope fine without it and I’m ready to have my body back 😀 thanks for your advice. I’m going to go shopping tomorrow and buy my favourites 😋

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 14:51:27 pm »
enjoy!!! :D
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 12:02:26 pm »
And a huge well done to you for feeding so long and letting him wean when ready.

If he asks I'd just be honest and say you've eaten things he's allergic to and so the milk isn't good for him now.  I'm guessing he's aware of his allergies.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 19:27:28 pm »
Thank you 😊 he has asked for it but while smiling a bit cheekily so think he was just seeing what I’d say. I told him he doesn’t need it anymore so it’s all gone but we can have lots of cuddles instead. He was fine with that 👍 thanks for your help. Laura x