Author Topic: Getting alert/awake but calm baby to sleep- Help!  (Read 4297 times)

Offline mad4ushorti

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Getting alert/awake but calm baby to sleep- Help!
« on: January 11, 2019, 14:59:35 pm »
Three sleep related questions:

1) Once I set my 6 week old down in bassinet (after swaddling and sitting until she seems very drowsy and almost asleep to asleep) she is often awake/alert but calm and just has her eyes open.  Sometimes she settles herself to sleep, but often she just stays awake like that looking around or takes just a short or fitful nap.  Is shush pat reserved for when baby is crying/fussing?  Should I keep trying to get her to work it out and fall asleep on her own after doing the wind down, swaddle and sit if she isn't fussing?

2) Lately she has been hard to wake up from naps at the three hour mark and is very sleepy through feed and gets very sleepy soon thereafter.  It is almost impossible to keep her up.  How can I do so?  Could I be making her overtired by keeping her up for 45 minutes to an hour? She eats about 15 minutes. I don't want her to nap longer than the 1.5-2 hours but it seems to be a fine line in keeping her awake but not getting her overtired.

3) How to get her to take catnaps in the late afternoon/evening between the two cluster feeds?  She hates the swing and since the process of putting her down upstairs in her bed takes so long she'd need to be up by the time she fell asleep.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Getting alert/awake but calm baby to sleep- Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 21:55:40 pm »
If she is feeding well and plenty of dirty/ wet nappies, don't wake her,

In many ways it sounds like she isn't a textbook baby in terms of her routine, so you probably need to develop some flexibility to the 'book routines' that are guides rather than must do. One of mine didn't have cluster feeds and just liked to feed constantly in the evening at that age.

In terms of going to sleep.if she's settled and not upset, leave her, but if she needs help... Golden rule 'give it
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05