Author Topic: 15.5 months sleep gone wonky  (Read 2589 times)

Offline SJS1471

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 10, 2019, 08:50:28 am »
Hello

Our routine used to be:

WU - 7ish
S - 12.15/12.30 for 1.5 to 2 hours
BT - 6.45

The last few days we have had 30 min OT naps because she is randomly waking up in the night whining and now we are having 5am wake ups and complete nap refusal and she is just so tired. She is cutting her canines and I wonder if it's this causing the problem. I have tried painkillers before bed the last few nights which has cut down the NWs but she's still an OT mess and I have no idea how to get her back on track and whether to go back to 2 naps especially with a 5an wake up. I tried bringing the nap back to 12 but she still would only do 30 mins. When she refuses it she is chatting in her cot to her bunnies but I think she's gone passed it and it's not an UT thing. We transitioned to 1 nap fully last month after a lot of back and forth between the 2 naps. Thank you

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 15.5 months sleep gone wonky
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 20:01:05 pm »
Hey there, canines are horrid teeth poor thing.

I’d carry on giving the meds but prob try a catnap of 30 mins about 9.30am then long nap about 12.30/1pm, try and keep her from getting major OT.

30 min naps can also be OT or pain related so I’d medicate at nap time too, the refusal may just be missing the relaxed sleepy window of she’s OT x
Zoe

Offline SJS1471

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 11:35:40 am »
Hi Zoe,

Thank you for your reply.

I will certainly give this a go although DH is slightly hesitant at bringing back 2 naps again especially as it got to the point it was stressing me out because she would refuse the AM nap until about 11/11.30 and then I could never get the 2nd awake time right. I can only try though and see what happens. I don't really know though how long I continue with this for before going back to 1 nap - I guess when she is back to sleeping through the night again? The last few days she has come down with a cold and a temp which has spiked to 40 so I wonder if the nightwakings leading up to this were her getting sick combined with the canines. I need to appreciate really that sleep is going to be out of whack until she is better. She is just really difficult to read tired signs for as well and I find that normally when she starts with them it is too late and she does a 30 min OT nap. Thank you for your help

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 16:26:39 pm »
Id say the gettimg poorly is probably a factor in the NW, wait until she’s better and see his things are.
Sometimes a quick CN and normal nap is only needed for a couple of days and then they go back to normal. I used to just arrange to drive or walk somewhere for the CN so it was really only a mini sleep.
If she refuses do a super early bedtime x
Zoe

Offline SJS1471

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 17:06:04 pm »
Thank you - she was covered in a rash today and had been waking every hour for the last 2 nights and then at 4am for the day. Turns out she has a double ear infection again. I am just letting her sleep whenever she wants to at the moment which has backfired today as she did an hour and a half at 10 and then refused all attempts and APOP attempts after that so will try for super early BT. I feel like we need to start again when she is better to get her back into her routine. If she wakes at 6.30/7 would you initially try for a nap at 12 or 11.30 and push it out slowly again? Set times work better for her rather than AT or tired cues as they are just so unreliable and I'm finding AT so stressful. Thank you x

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 21:42:43 pm »
Poor thing hope she’s feeling better, I’m sorry I missed your post. How are things?x
Zoe

Offline SJS1471

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 06:48:43 am »
Well she seemed better and her temp had gone and she was eating again. The night before last she slept 6.30-7.30 with no wake ups and so I thought I would try one nap at 12.30ish but when I was giving her lunch at 11.30 she was too tired to eat it and was falling asleep in her highchair and went to sleep at 12 but woke 35 mins later crying and I couldn't resettle her at all. Last night we had wake ups every 30 mins between 11.30 and 1.30 and I gave her calpol (I can see one of the canines poking through now and the line on the other side where the other one has cut) in case it's teeth and she went back to sleep until 5.20 and was chatting away but she's gone back to sleep again. She's in nursery today and never naps well there but I guess I'll try 11.30.for one nap tomorrow when she's home for a few days and see what that gets me?x

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 07:27:47 am »
Teeth always make things messy, hopefully the canines will be through soon and you can some sleep back.
I did split lunch for a while at this age so that mine didn’t wake starving x
Zoe

Offline SJS1471

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 12:27:56 pm »
OK so lo is now 16 months and is recovered from her double ear infection. She has 3 canines cut now so I'm guessing number 4 isn't far off. However sleep is still a mess
We still get night wakings (we were blessed that she slept through from 8 weeks) and EMW of 5am but she will go back to sleep for an hour or so. She's now started taking an hour sometimes to go to sleep at BT and same for naps. Right now we are at:

WU 6-6.30
S try for 12 and she'll sleep 30 mins to 50 mins
BT try for 6.15-6.30 but some nights she won't sleep until 7.30

I guess there is some major OT going on but when I try 2 naps she will refuse an afternoon one despite only having 15 or 20 mins in the morning. I can't seem to get AT right for 2 naps. When she is refusing she is either crying and then ill go in and she'll sit up and lie down sit up lie down like it's a game or point to the door or sometimes just chat to her bunnies. I don't know whether to push that nap to 12.30 or bring it back. Thank you

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 18:45:11 pm »
Hi I’d push the nap to later and hold it there for a few days see what happens.
Zoe

Offline SJS1471

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 18:53:24 pm »
Well funnily enough the 2 days she's been at nursery this week they haven't put her down until 12.45 (7am wake ups after going back to sleep waking at either 4 or 5) and she's done 1.35 and 1.45 without any wake up or needing resettling - even nursery were shocked and said it was the best nap she's ever done there. Maybe I do need to push it out and I'm just reading her all wrong thinking she's tired

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 19:39:00 pm »
Sometimes I used to find a drink or story could extend things quite nicely x
Zoe