Author Topic: 7 month old and sudden early waking?  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Delliebean

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 28, 2019, 19:25:50 pm »
Hi there!

I’m hoping someone can help provide some advice/comfort for what has been a really tiring last couple of days :(

DS is 7 months old and has been on EASY since he was 4 weeks old. He has STTN since he was 3 months old but over the last 4 days has been getting up anywhere between 4:30 and 5:00 and is unable to put himself back to sleep. We suspect he is teething as his cheeks are really red but I’m worried that the wakings are becoming habitual as the time he wakes up is pretty consistent! He didn’t go through this with his first 2 teeth either. We’ve recently introduced solids for dinner as well... would that have an impact?!

His EASY normally looks like this:
E (breast) - 7:00am
A
E (solids) - 8:00am
A
S - 9-9:15am (he will generally nap anywhere between 1-2 hours)
E (breast) - 11:00am
A
E (solids) - 12:00pm
A
S - 1-1:30pm (Will generally nap 1.5 hours)
E (breast): 3:00pm
A
S (cat nap): 5:15pm (will wake him up after 30min)
E (solids for dinner): 5:45pm
A
E (breast): 6:45pm
A: Bath and night time routine
S: 7:30pm

If he wakes up at 5am, should I still stretch his wake window till 9? He hasn’t been showing much tired signs and doesn’t seem OT at 9am as he will still get a good nap in. I know it also may be time to cut out the cat nap in the evening but we’re unable to push his bedtime forward as my husband works all day and generally gives him his bath etc. when he’s home from work. He doesn’t get any time with DS during the day otherwise...

When he gets up early, he generally rolls around his cot talking/whining. We have tried giving him 30mins to an hour before going in as he isn’t really crying but after he sees us, he won’t let us out of his sight and cries the second we leave the room. Today I tried going in to give him some bonjela but all he wanted to do was play with me and got really upset when I left.

Desperate for help  :-[ what should I do to help him?

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 7 month old and sudden early waking?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 21:00:39 pm »
I think the catnap is the problem. At 7mo babies can be down to 2 naps a day and that is robbing from his night slerp. Effectively you'd be pushing his awake times out to around 3+ hours when you go to 2 naps.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Delliebean

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 11:30:46 am »
Thanks Katet! I had a feeling that may be the real underlying cause. Looks like we will have to work to eliminate it...!