Author Topic: Long bedtime routine-breaking bad habits- HELP!  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Petitchou

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Long bedtime routine-breaking bad habits- HELP!
« on: January 26, 2019, 02:37:11 am »
My son is just about 18 months and his bedtime takes FOREVER. My husband and I did sleep training when he was 6 months, at that time he was able to put himself to sleep. Sometime during the summer, I'm guessing during a sleep regression, we began to rock him to sleep. We continued doing that because he would fall asleep quickly and transition from arms to crib fairly well.
Our usual routine is turn night light on, put on night diapers, lotion, jammies, bottle, read books, and rock to sleep. Lately, the rock to sleep part has been taking up to an hour or longer. It is soooo exhausting holding him that long. 2 nights this past week he completely protested bedtime and began screaming when we started rocking him. He also gets a second wind once we get in his bedroom and is having a really hard time winding down. He wakes up between 7:30 and 8, naps from 1-3, we start bedtime around 7:45, he is usually out for the night by 9pm. He mostly sleeps through the night with a night waking once in a while (Thank goodness!).
I think I need to sleep train him again but I am dreading it because he is quite spirited and passionate. We are not opposed to letting him cry it out but it does usually involve him throwing up.
Any tips? thoughts? encouragements?

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Long bedtime routine-breaking bad habits- HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 07:40:29 am »
I’d strongly discourage CIO, not only because it goes against the principles of this sight, but because it’s the same as ignoring a person asking for help when they start a new job.

What I can suggest is
1. Roll play a routine with a doll
2. Give comfort from the side of his bed, a hand on him and verbal cues
3. Use gradual withdrawal once he can easily drop off with your support beside the bed
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05