Author Topic: 3 Month Old Still Not Eating Much!  (Read 3548 times)

Offline emsies89

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 29, 2019, 10:47:10 am »
First time posting so please be gentle!

We've been trying to stick to EASY since about 2 months old when I moved from breast to formula.

At the start, the E was the hardest part - she would take only a couple of oz at a time. So I would continue to offer the bottle throughout her A time, so I think I've confused her. I figured she would eventually adjust to formula and start taking more. But no such luck. I then tried to extend times between E, which has worked (I now wait for her to be hungry) - but she still won't take anywhere near a full 5/6oz feed! The only time she would take such a big feed is at the DF when she was sleepy enough to take it.

Then last night she woke before we gave the DF and wouldn't take the full amount, so was then unsettled all night trying to catch up!

Anyone have any ideas how to get LO to take more? Will I get results if I just leave her as long as possible between feeds and not let her snack in between?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 3 Month Old Still Not Eating Much!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 16:08:31 pm »
Hello and welcome!

We need a bit more infor first please! What flow teat is she currently using? Does she have any digestive issues like reflux at all? What’s her current eat/ awake/ sleep pattern like?

Essentially though you are better waiting for longer between feeds than letting her snack all through her A time. At 3 months she should be going 3 hours between feeds although formula fed babies do need longer often as formula takes longer to digest than breastmilk. My babies were on a sort of EASAES cycle for a while until their A caught up with the longer feed cycle they needed.

With bottle feeds they should be done within 20 mins and there should be a bit left in the bottle so that you know they stopped because they are full and not just because the bottle is empty. Written info may say 5oz is a full feed, she probably hasn’t read that....! If she is alert and active when awake, maintaining her growth curve and has plenty of wet and dirty nappies she is getting what she needs.

Let us know the extra info and we’ll try and help more!

Laura