Author Topic: Starting EASY with Preemie?  (Read 2082 times)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
Starting EASY with Preemie?
« on: February 17, 2019, 19:15:55 pm »
Hello!

I recently gave birth to my daughter on January 14th at 36 weeks gestational age. I was diagnosed with severe preeclampsia which caused intrauterine restrictive growth causing my daughter to be born at 3 lbs. She spent 2.5 weeks in the NICU and I spent about a week in the hospital. The NiCU put her on 3 hour feeding schedule.

She is now 4 weeks old (I guess 0 weeks adjusted) and is thriving weighing in at 5 lbs 4 oz. She is exclusively BF feeding after a lot of work with the NICU lactation consultant and is now nursing anywhere from 2-3 hours during the day and 3-4 hours throughout the night. She does tend to do every 2 hours more so in the evening, maybe cluster feeding?

On average she is still spending most of her time sleeping (about 18-20 hours a day) so wake time isn't long. It's anywhere from 20 minutes-around an hour (only once or twice a day).

I love BW as it helped so much with my DS and would love to start DD asap.

I guess my question is when should I start? I tried researching BW with preemies and couldn't find much. Is there anything I can do now or is it too early considering she is still very much in the fourth trimester.

With my first, I had to break solo many habits when I started BW so trying to avoid the props as much as possible while still keeping in mind that she is still so young.

Thank you so much!!
Jennifer xx

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Starting EASY with Preemie?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 22:47:03 pm »
Congratulations on your little one.
Essentially EASY is about not letting them fall asleep while feeding rather than awake times or times between feeds. So you can try and seperate the feed from sleep with say a quick nappy change, but ultimately at such a young age it's essential to feed on demand and build the attachment with your baby.
From a BTDT the best laid plans to not have 'props' and not have to undo things often is very hard to avoid when you are juggling a baby and a toddler or preschooler, so be mindful that desires and reality can clash and often the balance needs those props.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 23:23:45 pm »
Ha true! I see AP being very present this time around.

I could start working on separating the feed from sleep. However, for sleep time, what is the best way to start encouraging independent sleep?

I forgot to mention that I have an overactive letdown and supply so I feed her on a recline and have to keep her sitting up for 20-39 minutes. Usually if she doesn’t fall asleep nursing, she falls asleep sitting up. Should I still try to wake her and put her down awake? Or should I wait until she’s awake for longer stretches?

I guess because she’s a Preemie I’m wondering if I should just let it be until she’s a bit older to try to get her to fall asleep on her own.
Jennifer xx

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 05:30:37 am »
You could try and wake her, but I’d honestly say if she’s sleeping most of the time anyway there is plenty of time to look at what you need to do to help her learn to fall asleep when the milk coma no longer works.

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 14:34:11 pm »
Ok! Yea for the most part the milk coma is very much happening. Sometimes she wakes back up while burping her. Then I cuddle her or wear her depending on what is going on.

Is there somewhere I can reference wake times? I feel like I may be missing some sleep cues.
Jennifer xx

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 01:53:53 am »
I think at the top of the forum page under Frequently Asked Questions there are posts that give A time.

Although at such a young age they may not give sleep cues, other than crying.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 13:59:36 pm »
Personally I'd just wait until she wakes up has a feed and then wants to stay awake for a bit after the feed before getting tired. You'd be crazy to wake her imo. Wake time for a newborn is 45-60 minutes including feeding etc.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 00:09:13 am »
Thank you!!

She is now starting to have one or two periods in the day where she actually stays awake after a feed. I’m trying to get to know her cues but they are super subtle that I’m not seeing them. She ends up staying up past the hour despite me trying to get her to sleep. I am wondering do I wait until she yawns then prep her for sleep? Or do I wait until she cries lol
Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 21:04:46 pm »
So I was wondering for a Preemie who is now 6 weeks (2weeks adjusted) do I follow the adjusted when it comes to growth spurts. She had been napping much shorter (45min as opposed to 1.5-2.5 hrs) today and wanting to eat more oh and fussy! Do 2 week olds have growth spurts or is this the 6 week one

I get so confused with actual age versus adjusted.
Jennifer xx

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 22:56:27 pm »
From memory there are multiple growth spurt in the first 3 months and a baby born at 36 weeks is technically only a week early (37-41 is considered term) I'm going to go with it possibly being the 3 week one. But they aren't exact as babies do their own growing
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 16:35:24 pm »
True...it’s like all of a sudden she doesn’t transition through sleep cycles as well and wants to nurse more. Could she be developing a habit already?

She still has an A time anywhere from 20-60 minutes. Should I be keeping her awake longer?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 18:37:21 pm by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx