Author Topic: Accidental parenting. Need help.  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Aleu

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 22, 2019, 13:12:55 pm »
Hi.

Me and my husband has fallen into the trap of bouncing our now 8 week old to sleep on an exercise ball and now have a very hard time getting him to sleep. We would like him to learn to fall asleep independently in his crib but I'm unsure whether we need to teach him to fall asleep in our arms without bouncing/rocking first or go straight to laying him in bed with just shushing/patting to calm him?

Hope I can find some advise here.

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Re: Accidental parenting. Need help.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 06:27:51 am »
Hi,

You can go both ways, whatever you are comfortable with. The gentle removal plan, where you bounce/ shhh Pat so he associates the shh/pat with sleeping too and you can slowly bounce less and shh/pat more, gradually getting rid of it altogether. Next step you sh/p while holding him with no bounce, then lay down and have him fall asleep on your arm while you sh/p etc. This approach takes some time but there is less protest involved.
Otherwise you can just bite the bullet and go straight to sh/p but be aware that there will be crying involved because you are changing something he is used to. Don’t leave him alone, it’s not controlled crying, just sh/p or sh/jiggle if that works best, and try soothe him through the change.

Personally I went with gentle removal because hearing DD1 cry would make me super anxious but it’s baby steps and frustrating.

It’s been a while so hopefully someone else will be along to verify what I just wrote 😂

Offline Aleu

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 14:27:46 pm »
Thank you so much for your reply.

We are currently trying the gentle way. And are having somewhat success with no more bouncing.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 14:29:36 pm by Aleu »