Author Topic: Self settling / extending naps help  (Read 1438 times)

Offline MiniNs

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 25, 2019, 09:19:01 am »
Hi!
LO is now 18.5weeks/just turned 4 months and I am desperate for some help to extend his naps and/or help him to self settle.

He used to need rocking to sleep, but we’re now at a point where I can give him a quick cuddle, dummy and comforter and put him down drowsy and he’ll nod off. In the instances where he doesn’t, a quick sssh/pat on the bum usually does the trick. This is the same strategy when I put him to bed.

Naps wise he will still only sleep for 30-45mins (mostly around the 40min mark) and then using sssh Pat or PUPD to try and extend or resettle doesn’t seem to work. On a 30min OT nap I can sometimes get him back off with ssh/pat but takes 20mins or so and then he will sometimes wake again soon after, sometimes extends another cycle.

At night he *can* sleep up to 5hrs straight, but normally around 4, between feeds. But has started to become restless and moany from 4:30 onwards and has more recently needed APOP from around 5/5:30am!

Our standard EASY looks like this;

WU 6:30/7 (I will often APOP to get him as close to 7 as possible, but WU is getting closer to 6:30 or even 6 with every day that passes!))
E: 7/7:30 (won’t ever take it on WU, normally needs half an hour to adjust lol!)
A: 1hr45
S: 8:45 - 45mins

E: 11:00
A: 2hrs
S: 11:30 - 45mins (I will sometimes now use the baby carrier to get him to have a longer nap until 14:00ish  here as it can really mess the day up if not)

If I manage to extend his midday nap then EASY continues like this;
E: 15:00
A: 2hrs
S: 16:00 - CN 30-45mins

Then the afternoon gets a bit muddled as his tiredness and catnapping catches up with him, if I haven’t extended his midday nap...
E: 14:30/15:00
And then he normally needs a couple of CNs to get through the afternoon at around 15:00/15:30 and then again around 16:30.
I always make sure he’s awake from any naps by 17:00/17:30 latest

E: 18:00ish
Bath 18:30
18:45 top up feed (often refused) and then BT around 18:50-19:00

I DF at 22:30/23:00, he usually has a NF around 02:30/03:30 depending on how much he takes on the DF
The last few days I’ve have to move everything back 30mins as he’s been waking at 6:20/30 and wanting a bottle and then getting up for the day.

So, anyway, any advice on the timings of naps or extending them and encouraging self settling etc would be gratefully received.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 11:50:08 am by MiniNs »

Offline koochooloo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Self settling / extending naps help
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 02:52:57 am »
Hi. When he wakes up from a nap, does he cry or is he uncomfortable?

My LO is about the same age and used to be a cat napper until I extended his A times. He was doing 1:45 a couple weeks ago but jumped to 2, 2:15 now. It’s on the higher side for A times but he never awoke crying and it seems to be working. He’s been sleeping longer night stretches too.

For your dream feed, are you pumping or using formula?

Offline MiniNs

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 13:25:20 pm »
When he wakes from a nap he is generally ok - but then tired again quickly.ive tried extending awake times but he starts to cry and become very grizzly anything beyond 1h45-2hrs

I used formula for all feeds.