Author Topic: 4 Week Old Takes An Hour to Fall Asleep  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Mjh045000

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 06, 2019, 15:31:41 pm »
I have a four week old who has been on EASY since we got home from the hospital.  His days and nights were confused for about two weeks, but we're much better on track now than the first two weeks.  However, he often takes awhile (generally, about an hour) to fall asleep for both his first nap of the day and at his 1 or 2AM feed.  I always watch for sleep cues for his naps, hold him for a few minutes, and put him in his crib.  He will lay there (generally, very quietly) for about an hour before falling asleep.  The same thing happens after his 1 or 2AM feed.  He will lay there for about an hour before going back to sleep.  This makes his morning nap only about an hour and it makes his 40 minute feed in the middle of the night take about two hours.  Because he is quite, we don't go in, give him a pacifier, etc.  However, I know he starts getting over tired because it's taking him so long to fall asleep.  Suggestions on what to do to help him fall asleep more quickly??  Thank you!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 4 Week Old Takes An Hour to Fall Asleep
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 00:36:57 am »
I used to shush pat to help my second son get in the zone when he did this. Once he got the 7-mile stare and turned his head to the side I could sit back and let him drift off independently. He just needed help zoning out.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011