Author Topic: 11 month old still on 4 full bottles...how to transition to solids?  (Read 4085 times)

Offline Katkirch

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
We did BLW with my 11 month old. It took him awhile to get the hang of it but he slowly started eating more solids. I expected him to start to eat more and more and then naturally drop bottles but he seems to like his milk so much. He currently has his meals about 30 minutes after finishing a bottle so I’m guessing he’s just not that hungry at mealtimes. Could someone give me advice about how to help wean him to 3 and then 2 bottles. At 12 months, I’d like to start switching to cows milk but don’t feel comfortable doing that unless he’s eating more solids. Thanks in advance!

7:00 bottle (8-10 ounces)
8:00 breakfast
9:45-11:15 Nap
11:30 bottle (8-10 ounces)
12:30 lunch
2:45-3:45 Nap
3:45 bottle (6 ounces - I cap his milk at 6 ounces so he takes bedtime bottle)
5:00 dinner
6:45 bottle (6-8 ounces)
Asleep by 7:30

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 11 month old still on 4 full bottles...how to transition to solids?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 23:34:30 pm »
Honestly at this age switch the timing around or just offer at least 1 feed in a cup.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 11 month old still on 4 full bottles...how to transition to solids?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 16:15:24 pm »
I agree just switch things around. I’d do lunch where you have the 11.30 bottle then offer a bottle just before the afternoon nap. When he wakes from the nap offer solids instead of a bottle and then do evening meal and bedtime bottle.

Cutting the 4 bottles to 3 by taking out the 11.30 will reduce the milk intake, just don’t increase the amount of milk you offer but if he’s hungry offer solids. Then by 1 just offer milk in a sippy with snacks rather than as a bottle feed. You can keep the wake up and bedtime bottles just make sure you clean teeth after the bedtime bottle.

HTH!

Laura