Author Topic: 2.5 year old EW and shouting out in his sleep  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Chelsea22

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
2.5 year old EW and shouting out in his sleep
« on: March 11, 2019, 06:22:10 am »
How do I keep my toddler in bed till about 7am, I’ve tried glow clock, sending him back, cuddles, sitting with him but nothing works.
He will be 3 in July and we have gone through changes recently as he has a baby brother, started nursery which he loves and also wants to drop the final nap although he seems to need this and has about 30/45 nap around 13.00most days otherwise he is cranky.
He has a bedtime routine that starts at 7.45pm and is he asleep by 8.15 and whereas he used to get up numerous times we have got him down and asleep now by me sitting on his floor and telling him a story after his bedtime routine.
He wakes up 2 or 4 times a night crying and shouting as if having nightmares and the times range from around 2am to 4am, he then wakes up to start his day around 6am.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 2.5 year old EW and shouting out in his sleep
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 19:54:57 pm »
Hi I wish I knew the answer I’d love mine to stay in bed till 7am 😉

He could just be needing your reassurance in the night from having a new baby around. If he’s up early are you bringing BT earlier?
Does he wake upset or in pain?
Zoe

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 2.5 year old EW and shouting out in his sleep
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 20:57:18 pm »
I also wish I'd had an answer to how to keep them in bed 5.30am was never a good time to start the day... The only real answer I have is "wait until they are teens" 😁

Even though he loves Nursery it's a double whammy with time away from you and the baby taking time, so my thought is some of it is 'cup filling' undivided attention in the middle of the night is like a subconscious test that Mum still cares.
My best suggestion is all those things your toddler loves to do with you, (but you don't really enjoy) spend some time doing them with him... Fill up his Mummy cup in his way -we often give them time the way we want to but that's often worth far less to them than how they want it, so it's important to look at what they actually feel fulfilled with. Kind of like me saying I'm wanting a nice meal out and my DH takes me to a Movie, it's time out but it's not quality time as a couple to communicate.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05