Author Topic: 21 weeks, doesnt sleep!! Stick a fork in me, I'm done!! :'(  (Read 4210 times)

Offline Abbyw

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
21 weeks, doesnt sleep!! Stick a fork in me, I'm done!! :'(
« on: March 07, 2019, 15:29:48 pm »
Hi, posting again... unfortunately DD2 is still cat napping all day and is now awake  frequently at night. Shes 21 weeks on Saturday and I really can't take it much longer  :'(

She's EBF but I'm going to start introducing formula as a back up. But she eats on average every 3.5-4 hours and is gaining weight nicely.
So I know she isnt hungry. Her reflux is under control and though she is chomping on everything I dont think she's waking up from pain... at least not during the day.

Sometimes she will surprise me and take a good 1.5 hr nap, but that happens once or twice a week, if I'm lucky. So she DOES know how to transition sleep cycles. Im doing everything i can to extend her naps (except shush/pat, which she finds distracting), W2S, hanging out while she's sleeping to try resettle...
She also falls asleep independently in her crib, takes a paci and is still in the swaddle.

let's just say I accept that she sleeps for 40 minutes at a time, how long do I keep her awake to avoid OT? Especially since she's up so much at night??

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: 21 weeks, doesnt sleep!! Stick a fork in me, I'm done!! :'(
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 17:32:17 pm »
I don't get here on the boards as often as I used to so I haven't seen your other posts, but...it sounds like it might be habit.

With this much NW, though, my guesses would be teething pain and/or hunger. At 21 weeks introduction of solids isn't too far off if you haven't started yet, which would give her calories. Are you cluster feeding before bedtime?

If you think it might be teething pain, though - less to distract her from it at night? - you can try pain meds at bedtime and see if you notice a difference in her quality and length of sleep times.

Just a couple off-the-cuff thoughts.

Offline Abbyw

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 17:38:44 pm »
thanks for your response deb!
her NW have actually settled. she'll wake at about 3/4 am for a feed and is up for the day albeit too early, but I feel like i'll tackle that later.

for now, she's still taking 30-40 minute naps and if the stars are aligned, i'll get a 2 hour nap maybe once or twice a week. so i know she KNOWS how to connect the sleep cycles but she simply isn't!
I've tried tweaking her A times, W2S, sitting next to her throughout the nap in effort to extend the nap before she fully wakes. i've tried leaving her in the crib to fall back asleep on her own. more stimulation, less stimulation. totally dark room, swaddle, no swaddle.
nothing, and i mean NOTHING seems to be helping her sleep longer.

so the question is, should i push her to stay awake longer between the catnaps or let her go to sleep as soon as she looks tired? this usually happens when she's awake for an hour or so...

Offline deb

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 02:23:37 am »
I'd try stretching the A time gradually, start with maybe 1:15 and work up every couple of days in 5-10-minute increments, see if you can get her to stay awake long enough, especially at the first A time to be properly ready for a nap. I found that keeping mine in her room for the first A cycle helped a LOT: I could feed her, change her, play with her quietly on her floor, all in her room, and really got to know her cues better too. Less stimulation that A time made for an easier transition to naptime too.

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 02:57:05 am »
Just wondering how things are going now? Did you manage to get longer naps and in that case how?

Offline mama2luvbug

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 20:17:28 pm »
Any tips on how to squash the frequent night wakings? We average 8 to 10 a night and I'm a zombie. I've tried to feed only evey 2 to 3 hours, but LO still wakes more frequently than that

Offline Abbyw

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 15:58:00 pm »
hi,
i eventually worked on extending her A time... and tried the "sleep training" again every few weeks.
at one point it just started working.

Offline deb

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 16:10:03 pm »
YAY!

Offline Abbyw

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 16:20:05 pm »
 ;D
Thank you all for your support!

Any tips on the 8 month sleep regression affecting naps?
Bubs wakes up at about 6.30 or 645 and struggles to stay up past 930...and then only sleeps for 40 or 50 minutes.
Then after 3.5 hr A time, back in for another nap... and she gives me only 30 min. And no amount of resettling helps.
I really want to try and move her bedtime and hopefully get her to wake up a little later. This is probably a question for another thread but I need help coordinating her schedule and that of my two-and-a-half-year-old. I'm hoping to move them into the same room, but won't be able to until I have them on a more coordinated schedule. My older daughter goes to sleep between 7 and 7:30 p.m. and she needs to be sleeping before I can put the baby in. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated

Offline deb

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 16:32:30 pm »
Does she have teeth coming in? Pain meds before sleep time might help her stay asleep. Nothing to distract her from pain when the room is dark & quiet.