Author Topic: Almost 7 month old cannot nap for more than 30 min!  (Read 2399 times)

Offline mamamoomoo

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Almost 7 month old cannot nap for more than 30 min!
« on: March 09, 2019, 20:53:48 pm »
Third baby now and naps are still the hardest thing!

My 7mo DD cannot nap for more than 30 min. I have been trying to find the correct A time but no luck. I have been aiming for a 3hr A time but also looking for sleepy cues. She wakes up happy to see me but yawning too so I know she is still tired. Sometimes I try to put her back to sleep but she can’t. I know she should be on 2 naps now but since she’s only napping 30 min at a time she naps 3-4 times. She also gets more and more cranky as the day goes by (understandably when naps are so bad :()

So 1 of my questions are, should the second A time be shortened if the previous nap was only 30 min long? If so, how long should it be? I’ve tried basing it on just sleepy cues but she still only naps for 30 min. I’ve also tried 3 hr A time in the morning, 30 min nap, and then 2 hr A time and she still only naps for 30 min.

She’s ebf (although starting solids) and been sleeping through the night since she was a month old (yes, I know I’m really lucky with her). Her routine is somewhat like this...

Wake and eat 7am (sometimes falls back asleep after nursing)
A 3hrs
S 10am
E 10:30am
A 2hrs
S 12:30pm
E 1pm
A 2hrs
S 3pm
E 3:30pm
A 2hrs
S 5:30pm
E 6pm
A 1.5-2hrs
Bedtime 7:30-8pm (we have to tend to her 2 older sisters so putting her down earlier isn’t always an option)

Appreciate any advice or suggestions! Thank you in advance!

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Almost 7 month old cannot nap for more than 30 min!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 23:16:23 pm »
I'm thinking if she sometimes falls asleep at her 7am feed, I'd try a shorter A time maybe even try putting her back down for a nap then and if she sleeps longer then  try a 2.5 hour A time.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline mamamoomoo

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 00:51:38 am »
Sorry I’m a little confused. You mean put her down again after I nurse her when she wakes up? So no A time? Or you mean A time should be 2.5hrs instead of 3?

She doesn’t fall asleep while i’m nursing her. Maybe an hour after (I’m usually snoozing or just staying in bed together so we haven’t officially gotten up yet).

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 06:24:32 am »
I think if she's falling asleep so quickly after that first feed and you aren't starting your day at 7am then maybe try putting her back down straight away and she will do a 12 hour night or  maybe her natural first A time is short and then try for more textbook lengths later in the day...but it does sound like maybe she's got her own times (like my DS2 did) that don't fit the book.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05