Author Topic: 4 month old frequent night waking  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Chelsea22

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 18, 2019, 08:25:01 am »
Need  some sleep advice. Our 17 week old boy is a complete mystery. He is my 2nd but does not fit into EASY as my first son did. We have him on EASY and up till 12 weeks he Ate  every 2.5 hours as was a hungry baby, but his sleep was always text book and at night ate once around 4am after his DF. He had his growth spurt at 15weeks and since then my Dr adviced is to introduce solids and cut down his feeding, I moved him onto a 4 hour EASY and slowly introduce solids which he took to by day and for the first 3 days he slept through the night from DF to 6.30.
Since then he has become unpredictable and our nights are rough. He goes down between 7 -7.30 as close to 12 hours after his wake up time as possible. I do the dream feed at 10.30 but recently he has started waking before it around 10pm  he’d wake around 1am, and Shias pat him to sleep, he wakes again around 3 and takes about 150ml milk, starts again around 5, sometimes even more frequently, and screams until I feed him about 60ml.
He has been on rice cream in his milk now every 4 hours and at lunch has pureed potatoes or vegetable. He drinks 220ml at each feed with 3 tsp of rice cream in the bottle.
we’re exhausted due to the night wakings and no ideas how to help him settle as he was better before and I think he has enough food in the day.
 He still sleeps well in his crib in the day 2 hours from waking and has 2 naps of 1.5-2hrs, a short nap of 30mins around 5pm. He wakes around 6am happy and playing in his crib where he used to wake at 7.30 up to 2 weeks ago.
His EASY is something like this:

6ish wake
7.00 Eat 8oz + 3 tsp rice cereal
9.00 Sleep 1.5- 1.45hrs

11.00 Eat 8oz + 3 tsp rice cereal
13.00 Sleep 2hrs

15.00 Eat 8oz + 3 tsp rice cereal , 2 x Tsp potato or veg.
17.00 Sleep 30-40mins

19.00 Eat and sleep - 8oz + 3 tsp rice cereal
22.30 DF 8oz + 3 tsp rice cereal

Any advice?

Offline koochooloo

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 4 month old frequent night waking
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 04:31:35 am »
I have no advice but came here to post this exact same situation that my 18 wk old angel/textbook baby and I are experiencing.  And sleep deprivation makes getting through the day quite an experience!

If you change anything in your routine and it works, please share an update.  Good luck!

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 05:10:20 am »
How long did his growth spurt at 15weeks last? Because they can go on for 2 or 3 weeks at this age.
I know the Dr recommend solids, but he's still very young and they could be upsetting his stomach and causing the waking. I know my DS2 didn't do well with the rice cereal, at 6mo (and he was a big 10kg baby when I started solids at 26 weeks)  so some babies just do well on certain foods when they are young.
 I don't know much about FF babies but if he was BF I'd say move his feeds back to about 3h to see if the extra day feeds help night feeds.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline koochooloo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 16:53:04 pm »
On the rice cereal, have you read about recent findings about the amount of arsenic it contains? My FIL is a professor of medicine and said single grain oatmeal is better. Apparently the doctor recommendation of rice cereal goes back decades but they didn’t know about the arsenic.

Offline Chelsea22

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 19:52:32 pm »
I thought I’d post an update so far things have got better , I took the advice and stopped the rice cereal in his bottles, went back to only 220ml milk at 4 hours in the day, with some fruit at lunch feed, his last feed is at 7pm and I stopped the DF but strangely enough his sleep has got better.
He now sleeps through from about 7.30pm to 4.30am, wakes and I fed him 100ml and put him straight back down and he sleeps till around 7.30am.
I don’t mind the early morning feed as I’m no longer waiting for the DF so get at least 6/7 hours sleep myself. It’s been 3 nights so far and no changes.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 20:16:34 pm »
Sounds like either he was at the end of the growth spurt, or the rice cereal was upsetting him.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Chelsea22

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 06:46:24 am »
I’ve no idea but I’d guess it was the rice cereal as he had his growth spurt at 15 weeks and lasted about a week.
He’s a happy baby again and slept once again without waking or crying out in sleep till 07.30 from 07.30 with a quick 80ml feed at 04.30.
I’d work at slowly reducing the milk at 04.30 and hope he will then go through the night.