Author Topic: 7 week old - hard time distinguishing cries!  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Arquette

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
7 week old - hard time distinguishing cries!
« on: January 07, 2019, 15:57:11 pm »
Hi, I am a big fan of EASY and used it for my first two kids (spirited and textbook).

My third baby is Touchy (I think) and I am having a really hard time telling overtired cries from hunger cries. He is on EASY and is on an A time of about 1hr 10 mins. Sometimes it takes me ages to get him down for his naps and other times it takes 5 mins.

I’ve started to second guess myself now and i’m starting to struggle. His cries - the ‘eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-waaaaah’ are overtired?

Would be great if someone could confirm or clarify!!

Thanks

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: 7 week old - hard time distinguishing cries!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 03:59:09 am »
With both my children, I've found it easier to go by the clock when it comes to naps. I found sleepy cues can get quite confusing as they get older - sometimes it's just boredom you know? Or they are sleepy but not sleepy enough to do a proper sized nap. And when it comes to eating, I generally nurse on wake up from naps, so that removes hunger from the equation. Hope that helps  :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 19:27:41 pm »
I never understood my DS's cries. I remember when he was little reading about different cries, I read books, info on-line and all sorts thinking it must be possible to work this thing out but for me it just wasn't possible.
It was the routine which led me to know what he needed.  To the outside world I looked like I understood his cries and there are some spectacular stories about "understanding his cries" and knowing just what he needed and being able to sooth him in seconds, but actually the reason I knew was the routine.
Separately from the routine there were times when he cried and I just didn't know what was wrong or what to do. There was more than once when I told him I was going to leave the room (him in his cot) to see if that's what he wanted and that if he continued to cry I would come back because it turned out that sometimes he was crying "go away and let me sleep" which was hard for me to accept because in my head I thought he had to be happy/soothed/calm before I left him and that I could not leave my baby crying.  Several times it turned out he did just want me to go and would nod off the moment I was out the room, other times he didn't so I'd just go back in.
The EASY routine made me look like I had more understanding and instinct than I really had...and then over time I really got to know him much more and it became easier for me.  Easier still when he could talk and say "you can go now" oh, right, thanks, okay :)

Offline mareta

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 08:09:09 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgkZf6jVdVg

This really helped me when my LO was younger. With the hunger cry you should see the tongue rolled up (also described in BW book) and baby making a kind of "neh" sound.

And if you haven't found this post yet:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=141660.0

Good luck!