Author Topic: 2 month old fighting sleep  (Read 3750 times)

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
2 month old fighting sleep
« on: April 01, 2019, 18:47:23 pm »
My DD is 2 months and have been fighting bedtime for a month. She sleeps with me in my bed and it's working fine. She sleeps well during the first part of the day but it get's worse as the day rogresses and she needs more and more help resettling during naps and at bedtime she just wont have it. I've tried a sling which she sleeps in during the day, sleeping on me, nursing to sleep, singing, shushing/patting, white noise, darkness, rocking, singing and it's just not working. She screams like she's really angry and it can go on for up to an hour. I was hoping someone could take a lool at our routine and see if I'm doing anything wrong there? I feel so horrible that I can't console my baby when she's crying for my help  :'( i have never left her to cio and never will but sometimes i feel so frustrated that i feel angry with her and i know that's not fair. I'm posting our EASY from today. The idea is 3 hour between feeds (sometimes less which is fine) and we're currently starting wind down after 1 hour of a-time. (We're planning to start independent sleeptraining at 3 months)

1/4
WU 06.30
E 06.40
A 06.30- 07.41 1,10
S 07.41-09.20 1,40h

E 09.29
A 09.20-10.25 1,05
S 10.25-12.00 1,35h

E 12.07
A 12.00-13.14 1,15
S 13.14-14.10 50min

E 14.25
A 14.10-15.15 1,05
S 15.15-16.25 1,10h

E 16.31
A 16.25 1,20
S 17.45 17.53 8min give up trying after 35min

E 18.32 hoping she'll fall asleep while nursing..
19.00-19 45 nope, screaming
E 19.45 trying to nurse to sleep again which works this time
A 17.53 2h
S 20.00

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 2 month old fighting sleep
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 22:33:33 pm »
I don't think it's anything you are or aren't doing.

It's very normal for a young baby to have unsettled periods esp in the late afternoon evening. (Witching hours) where what they need is often lots of suckling (but not always feed) and cuddling. It's not uncommon to have lots of cluster feeding in the evening especially in the 6-12 week age when babies suffer the most from colic.

Honestly you may find something that works or you may find that some time after 3mo it just improves. For now just take each day as it comes and find something good on TV and sit and cuddle.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 20:59:04 pm »
Thank you for ypur reply! I'm glad to hearyou don't think I'm doing anything wrong but I would have liked to be able to do something. It kinda sucks when you can't help your miserable baby. 😢
The other problem is she has an older sister (3years) who wants attention and that I several times a week when I'm alone have to feed and put to bed through the screaming. Anyone else go through that and have any good ideas to make that easier for the older child? I feel bad cause she doesn't get a story those nights just kinda have to hurry her in bed and leave. 🙁

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 22:20:25 pm »
When my youngest was little and wouldn't settle and I was ony own. I'd set us all up in my bedroom and let the baby feed and read my 2yo stories there.. sometimes he'd fall asleep there and then I'd transfer him to his cot. We then moved him to a bed, so I'd do the same sitting on the floor next to his bed or in his bed. Generally speaking my youngest was happy sucking on my breast for ages... which I knew was comfort sucking as he was a quick feeder.

You may also find though with having am older sibling, your baby gets more stimulation and so needs shorter awake times as the day goes on.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline scheaashby

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 04:06:54 am »
I’m curious how this progressed for you. My son is doing the exact same thing. It’s very exhausting and I’m just hoping I’m not doing anything wrong too. So hard for him to settle in the evening. Witching hour!! 😖

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 13:52:48 pm »
Hi!
Sorry you're going through this, it's horrible! 😢 it got better and stopped at around 3 months I think it was. After I got feedback that I wasn't doing anything wrong it felt better and I just focused on being there for her, and I did all the accidental parenting I could to get her to sleep and I'm glad I did sleeptraining went very well later anyway! Do you have any specific questions? Like to help if I can!

Offline scheaashby

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 04:42:57 am »
Your situation sounds similar to mine so hopefully it is a fast change for me  🤪 I’m really getting this 3 hour A time before bed, which can result in the inconsolable crying (usually) or just unsettled restless and wide awake. Today was the latter thank goodness, but I’m so on edge nervous that it will happen any moment, and dreading the evenings, so.... that’s just hard. Luckily he’s so sweet and cuddly the rest of the day, or I would need a whole team of helpers 😜

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 15:34:30 pm »
You know, it just occured to me that we started using white noise and that helped a lot with breaking the inconsolable crying and even falling asleep, have you tried that?