Author Topic: 12 week old sleep habits  (Read 2720 times)

Offline DaniRose

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
12 week old sleep habits
« on: April 08, 2019, 17:29:20 pm »
I am looking for advice for my 12 weeks old baby who is breastfed and eating every 3 hours during the day. We try to follow 3 hour EASY, but this doesn’t usually work as his naps are mostly short so it’s more like EAS AEAS AEAS…

He goes down awake for naps and bedtime awake and swaddled with one hand out, typically 1 hour 15 min – 1 hour 30 min awake time, but I cannot get him to settle back to sleep after a short nap unless I sway him in his room until he falls asleep again. When we put him down for a nap he starts with a pacifier, but he can fall asleep without it as sometimes he will fuss for a few minutes and then fall asleep. Every once in a while he will be sleeping for over two hours – but I will wake him for the next time to eat.

I do not want to teach holding him to resettle for a nap, and it is often not possible as I have another child at home- so most of the time naps just are what they are. I often run into the problem where I either have to stretch his awake him, or try to get him down for an additional short nap during the day, for our eating and awake time pattern to work.

He goes to sleep by 7:30pm and doesn’t usually want to nurse until 2 am. Sometime he wakes between 12 am and 1am and I give him a pacifier (to see if he will settle or if he is ready to eat) and he usually goes back to sleep until 2am. Recently he has been waking many times early in the morning after his night time feed, but will settle again with a pacifier. Then, if he wakes around 5 I nurse him (as it has been three hours since he last nursed and I find he settles back to sleep). When he is nursed again he will sleep until 7, but if he wakes close to 6am or later I don’t know what to do since it is so close to the start of the day. I typically try to settle him with a pacifier and am in and out of his room for the next hour (he isn’t getting any solid sleep at this point).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 21:31:16 pm by DaniRose »

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 12 week old sleep habits
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 22:25:52 pm »
He could be going through a growth spurt there is one around 3mo.
Honestly I'd settle him once with the Pacifier and feed on the second wakeup no matter what the time is.
Things change week by week when they are so young so it's better to offer a feed than keep trying to resettle
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 03:14:44 am by Katet »
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 00:07:56 am »
Yup, sounds like 3-month growth spurt to me too.

Is he refluxy at all? Spitup?

Also, w/my second I ended up just carrying her in a carrier a LOT because her sleep was so wonky and my older one needed me too.

This is how we solved it w/my first kid though: https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=649.0 . In our case it was partly a matter of adjusting her A time upwards so she was tired enough to take longer naps and partly a matter of getting her to sleep longer in the morning so she didn't wake up already tired (so a Dream Feed).

BTW, where in MD are you? I'm in MoCo! :)

Offline DaniRose

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 15:52:22 pm »
Katet- Thank you for your reply. I have been hesitant to feed again once we get close to morning because there are times he doesn’t go back down well after nursing- this seems to be getting better tho so your advice is helpful! 

Deb- he does not have reflux or spit up issues but even after peaceful night nursing he seems to need to burp. Sometimes I can just pick him upright and he will burp but other times I have to run/pat him which will kind of wake him up and then I just stick the pacifier in his mouth and hope for the best  :P
Thanks for the article! I’m in Washington County.