Author Topic: Ready to drop the nap?  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Tabathagucci

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Ready to drop the nap?
« on: April 14, 2019, 22:27:16 pm »
Hello!

LO turned 3 in Feb.  She was taking naps at around 2 and would sleep from 90 mins to 2 hours and need about 5 hours before BT.  She then shifted her nap to about 2:20 for a few weeks but now all of a sudden she’s falling asleep closer to 3 and sometimes not at all and bed time is a constant struggle with her sometimes not falling asleep till 10 and then sleeping 9 hours for the night.   It’s hard to tell if she is UT or OT for bed time because she’s taking a later nap but a shorter nap.  She does ok on no nap but gets feisty and throws more tantrums.  At what point do I know it’s tkme to drop this nap?  It has become exhausting and time consuming getting her to sleep for both nap and bed time.

Thx!

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Ready to drop the nap?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 23:00:17 pm »
Sounds like she's at the point of transitioning. I'd definitely pick a time to cap it or not offer it eg if she's not asleep by 2.30pm it no nap and if you want say an 8pm bedtime then wake by 3pm to give the 5 hours before bed. At 3yo a 30min nap can be enough to steal an hour or 2 from night sleep.
Also it's workable to have a nap every second day with most children. Just make sure you give early bedtime in no nap days and try for quiet time too. Mine used to watch episodes of Thomas the Tank engine to get down time.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Ready to drop the nap?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 02:18:20 am »
Thank you!  I think every other day would be good, will try it!