Author Topic: 2 year old routine gone crazy  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Jpbaby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 02, 2019, 13:27:29 pm »
Hello! Ds turned 2 about 2 weeks ago. Ever since then his daily routine and sleeping habits have gone crazy. His day use to be like this:
Wake 6 am
Nap 12 pm (2-2.5 hr)
Bedtime 6:30-7pm

He would fall asleep on his own, didn’t have night waikings and if he did he would fall back right away. But now he is having trouble falling asleep both at nap time and bedtime. It’s been taking about an hour or more for him to settle and fall asleep. Sometimes he does it on his own and sometimes he cries a lot before finally settling. Also he’s been waking at 5 am for the past 3 days, even today after I tried w/s at 4:30 am. And there’s been a couple nights that he wakes in the middle of the night and has a hard time going back to sleep.
Can you please advise any tweaks I should make to his day, so we can go back to having normal naps, bedtime and no early wakings?
Thanks!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 2 year old routine gone crazy
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 20:51:25 pm »
It could be a number of things going on. There is a sleep regression at 2, I would say that a 2 -2.5 hour nap at this age is too long and will be having an impact on night sleep.

I would try for a bit later nap and make it shorter. If he’s waking early he could be a bit OT from the cycle he’s got into so maybe try nap at 12.30 for a few days and wake at 1.5 hours and stick to your usual bed time. It may take a good few days to settle into a new routine so don’t expect miracles!

The other thing could be the 2yr molars having an impact. I remember this time was awful with my DS. The 2 hour + night wakings were a particular favourite ::) I happened to check his mouth one day and saw 2 molars fully through and 2 partially through, that explained a few things.... I would try medicating at bedtime for a few days if you think that’s a possibility.

Laura

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 2 year old routine gone crazy
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 21:51:41 pm »
I agree with Laura
Sleep regression/ huge mental developmental leap.
Day nap a little later and shorter.
Look for molars, some children only seem bothered by them at night.
Also make sure he's getting loads of physical activity they say 3 hours minimum. The amount of activity and active play and brain stimulation can impact their sleep more than their routine as toddlers. Limit any screen time and avoid any from 5pm if he's struggling to settle at night too.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Jpbaby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 01:05:08 am »
Thanks a lot for your advice! I really appreciate it!