Author Topic: Regression...? Reduced sleep need? Both? So confused  (Read 2073 times)

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Regression...? Reduced sleep need? Both? So confused
« on: May 07, 2019, 00:41:46 am »
After observing my 2.5 year old pushing her BT back gradually, I was so sure that she was telling me something... That she needed less sleep. We capped her nap at 1.5h and asked the daycare to do the same.
It seemed like it was helping, she was going to bed closer to her previous BT.

Now, I don't know what I think. She still naps 1:15-1:30h at home, although I think only 1:00-1:15h at daycare (but they have not been giving me much info recently)

She fights her BT pretty hard using all sorts of stall tactics, but she seems so tired! Hyperactive behavior when we are getting ready for bed, she seems so sleepy when I read her BT story... But then rallies hard! After fighting for 30+ mins she will also start biting her hand or blanket.

She is averaging 11-11.5h of total sleep recently. I have not noticed any unusual daytime behavior (beyond normal toddler stuff), but she really seems OT at night.

We have been putting her down earlier, but she just fights for a longer time.

Is this a phase? Or should I be making a significant change?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Regression...? Reduced sleep need? Both? So confused
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 06:32:08 am »
Hi like you say could be both.
How does she sleep during the night any wake ups? If her mood is ok and no NW then I’d try capping nap to 45 mins at home and trying earlier BT for a few days see if it’s too much day sleep.
Both of mine had dropped naps by this age and BT was much easier of course they are all different.
Zoe

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 10:39:05 am »
She will often cry out/talk maybe once in the night. Sounds like dreaming. Usually lasts only 1-2 mins and she doesn't actually wake.

How much earlier do you think we should try bedtime? In theory her current BT is 8:00, we have been trying to PD between 730 and 745 and she actually falls asleep around 8:30

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 19:28:49 pm »
I’d try BT 12.5 hours from wake up if your capping nap a bit.
The 1-0 sleep regression is rubbish it’s a bit of wing it and see 😬
Zoe

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 20:33:45 pm »
I agree!! Argh!!

And the daycare used to be so specific with her sleep times, but now that she is in older group I have no idea how long or when she is napping.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 21:08:31 pm »
I had to get a bit firm with DS1 nursery at this stage.
Zoe

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 23:56:17 pm »
So the daycare confirmed that she has been napping less than an hour for a while now, so she was/is most definitely OT.
We have started to put her down earlier, 1h earlier than before (12.5h before wake will be nearly impossible with our schedules, but with some preparation I can probably find another 15-30 mins)

How long before we may see some hope/progress? The last few nights have just been a longer fight before falling asleep.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 02:46:26 am »
At that age it may also be she needs a change in the rituals that go with the evening. She may be more mentally tired and not so much physically or vice versa. She may need more wind down or maybe a chance to burn off some energy.  As they get older tiredness can become more complex as their brains take so much in and grow so much and the clock can be far less a factor than the emotional/ physical balance and the need to spend time processing the day, especially if they've been away from their primary carer all day they can need extra connection time to relax.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 12:53:57 pm »
She may be more mentally tired and not so much physically or vice versa. She may need more wind down or maybe a chance to burn off some energy. 

I have been thinking about this. She is a very physically active child, but I have seen changes emotionally this past week. With this OT she has started chewing her hands, blankets when she is trying to settle.

I am struggling with what else my husband and I can do to help (aside from earlier BT)

We have always had a longer than avg relaxing period before bed. With reverting back to earlier BT we will have to restructure our evenings a bit.

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 14:43:26 pm »
Update:

So we have been doing the early PD for over a week now and she is regularly falling asleep between 7:15 and 7:30 (better than 8:30- 8:45)... Which is great..
But now is waking between 6-:00-6:15 (previously 6:30-6:45)

Do you think she may eventually go back to the later wake up with time? Or is she UT now?

With the earlier BT we have reclaimed ~30 mins of overall daily sleep even with slightly earlier wake up. But she is only getting AVG~11.5h of total sleep in day.