Author Topic: 7m/o frequent night wakings.  (Read 14676 times)

Offline MiniNs

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 08, 2019, 14:33:00 pm »
Current EASY:

WU 6:15
S: 9:00-10:30/11:00
S: 13:30/14:00 - 15:15 latest (wakes for feed by this point)
BT: 18:30

We’ve recently seen a huge increase in NWs... 1-2 hourly from BT until WU.

Please help. One very desperate and tired Mama!

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: 7m/o frequent night wakings.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 17:46:40 pm »
Hi there & welcome. Wakings soon after bedtime usually indicate overtiredness. I do think there is quite a long gap between the second nap and bedtime. Have you tried extending that nap? I think that might make all the difference. Do let me know how you get on :)

Offline MiniNs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 20:29:48 pm »
Thank you for your reply - it’s so much appreciated!

I have tried extending the nap but he generally only needs 1.5hours. He also finds it difficult to sleep past 3:15pm due to having a feed around 3/3:30pm. So the latest he goes is normally 3:20pm.

I was thinking about maybe bringing BT forward but then I’ll end up with EW and be in a vicious cycle I think.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 23:35:29 pm »
Wakings all night long can often indicate fluid in the ears making them uncomfortable.
Teeth moving around can also be part of them being unable to drift back between cycles.

If he's had a cold or runny nose in the last month I'd see a Dr to get his ears checked.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 04:03:08 am »
All good points by PP. You could try bringing BT forward to 6 or maybe gradually pushing your A times. He's already doing quite well on that front though. My son is 7 months old as well and he is doing 3.20 at the moment, so almost the same. We have been getting NWs because he is moving around like crazy in his crib. Do you find the same thing happening?

Offline MiniNs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 11:48:59 am »
Wakings all night long can often indicate fluid in the ears making them uncomfortable.
Teeth moving around can also be part of them being unable to drift back between cycles.

If he's had a cold or runny nose in the last month I'd see a Dr to get his ears checked.

He hadn’t had a cold etc but this did all start when his first 2 teeth cut through - I’ve waited for them to fully emerge before seeking help. It’s also happening regardless of pain meds which I think means more likely to be OT?

All good points by PP. You could try bringing BT forward to 6 or maybe gradually pushing your A times. He's already doing quite well on that front though. My son is 7 months old as well and he is doing 3.20 at the moment, so almost the same. We have been getting NWs because he is moving around like crazy in his crib. Do you find the same thing happening?

I think I’m going to try bringing BT forward to 6:15 and then if that’s no better, then 6pm. I’m worried about EW but I’ll take that if he’s more settled over night for now. I do need to stretch his A time too - he’s only just 7months this week and we’ve literally just stretched to 3hours A in the last couple of days and he struggles.

He doesn’t move around much at night tbh. He’s a very big boy and can’t roll yet :D But I remember having that problem with DS1 at this age!

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 14:48:11 pm »
Okay keep us posted. Crossing fingers for you!

Offline MiniNs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 18:03:39 pm »
Thank you.

Today hasn’t quite gone to plan but worked out like this...

(After another night with a lot of wakings, one of them pretty lengthy)

WU 6:15

S 8:45-9:00 (car nap on school run - which is 3 days a week - I cannot stop this most of the time and then when he goes back down for a nap varies hugely)
S: 10:15-11:15

S: 14:00 - 14:50 (resettled) 14:50 - 15:40

BT: 18:20

Very disjointed naps today, which haven’t helped, but I reduced the A time  before bed to try and combat any OT.

I’m hoping that if I can get a half decent cycle of overnight sleep in, for a couple of nights, then he will be better rested for me to start pushing his A times to a more consistent 3 hours. At the minute we’re doing more like 2h45 because he’s constantly tired.

*update*

So he’s been quite wriggling and moany on and off but we managed to get to a 22:00 dreamfeed with no NW, which the last few nights hasn’t happened as he’s been waking 2-3 times in the first few hours after BT. He waking up and starting to cry when I went in to do the DF though, but has settled fine after. Hopefully this means he wasn’t as overtired at bedtime and I’ve helped things by keeping his A times at 2h45....
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 21:11:54 pm by MiniNs »

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 02:11:31 am »
Sounds like a good start. We should wait for a day or two to evaluate. Let things settle down.

Offline MiniNs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 06:54:21 am »
So after the 18:20 bedtime...

22:00 dreamfeed - but was beginning to wake up

3:30-3:50  crying and wouldn’t take dummy or resettle in cot - apop rocked 5/10mins (calmed quickly), put down when almost asleep and patted 10mins while he moaned and flung his arms around. Very restless on monitor after I left.
4:05 (not sure he ever fully went back to sleep in the first place) dummy run - this time not fighting sleep but trying to snuggle comforter etc. Restless again quite quickly.
4:30 little cry - self settle

6:50 wake up

Should I keep with 2h45 A times for a couple of days, based on this?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 06:58:10 am by MiniNs »

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 10:01:25 am »
It does sound like discomfort as well. I would suggest sticking to this A time consistently for a few days and then we can reevaluate. It takes a bit for things to settle down.

Offline MiniNs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 11:35:07 am »
Great. I’ll stick to 2h45 A time as best I can today and over the weekend and will pop on our EASY and NWs each day as I go. Then perhaps any further advice in a few days time? I really appreciate it, thank you. X

Offline MiniNs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 05:14:49 am »
Day 2: 2h45m A time

WU 6:50
S: 8:50-9:05 (car - school run)
S: 11:00-11:30 (woken to try and keep some kind of routine?)
S: 13:30 (car, school run and then transferred to cot at home) - 14:40 (resettled) 14:50-15:25
BT: 18:10
NWs: 3:30 dummy replug & settled
6:00 wake up

(This is the best night we have had in a LONG time!) if it’s worth anything, he was really restless around 5:00am (so much so that his movement on the baby monitor woke me up) - lasted about 15mins and I was expecting a WU any second but he did eventually settle independently.

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 16:14:12 pm »
Great!

Offline MiniNs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 05:54:15 am »
Day 3: 2hr50/3h A time
(felt like I had to push out his A time where I could in order to not end up with a 17:30 BT  after a 6am get up😬)

WU 6:00
S: 8:50 - 10:20 (self settled very quickly, resettled with a quick sssh Pat) 10:20-11:00
S: 14:00 (ssh pat needed to settle) - 14:45 (apop) 14:50 - 15:10
BT:  18:15 (probably not asleep until 18:20)
NWs: 22:00 DF, 05:10 dummy & quick ssh pat , 5:30 dummy
WU: 6:45

Should I be trying to get a more consistent WU time so that I can have more consistent nap times? WU has a 45mins window and it makes planning for naps a little tricky.

When I go back to work, in a couple of months, he will need to be up for the day at 6:15/30 so I was wondering if I should be waking him at 6:30 if he’s still asleep? To try and get a routine going?

Also, should I continue to keep pushing A time?

Thank you 😊