Author Topic: 3 yo waking at ~3:30 and not going back to sleep  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Tabathagucci

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
3 yo waking at ~3:30 and not going back to sleep
« on: May 21, 2019, 11:22:48 am »
For a couple months now my 3 yo daughter has been periodically waking between 3 and 3:30 am and not going back to sleep.  It happens every 1-2 weeks and doesn’t seem to correlate with no nap or nap during the day.  She has tummy troubles sometimes but she’s not showing any signs of discomfort, I think she’s just scared.  Tonight she asked me what that black thing was in her room, but when I picked her up and asked her to show me, she couldn’t point it out.  She also asked me to close her door so nothing could get in.  We have a night light.  What else can I do?  I’ve told her we have an alarm in the house and nothing bad can get in.  I’ve also told her her stuffed animals will protect her.  She just wants to sit in my lap or wake up.  When she’s in my lap in the rocker she falls asleep but wakes when I try to put her back in her crib.

Thanks!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 3 yo waking at ~3:30 and not going back to sleep
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 15:30:49 pm »
Hi it’s on a day when she’s not with you? What happens with her day when she’s up that early?

Can you put a camp bed in and when she wakes keep her in bed but you go in her room. My DS2. ends up in with us on most nights he’s been at school think he just needs our presence. I know it’s not great but I work and need to function x
Zoe

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 16:24:47 pm »
Thanks!  There doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason.  Last time she did it I was out of town.  This time daddy was out of town, but the two times before that both of us were home.  She goes to school twice a week and doesn’t correlate with that either.  I always keep her in her room, but I did take her out of her bed last night and she sat in the chair with me.  I was actually able to get her back down by making it a little lighter in her room, closing the door like she asked and telling her I’d sleep right outside her room.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 06:25:34 am »
It does sound a bit developmental, realising she’s alone and it’s dark etc. We have 2 nightlights one outside the room and a red one in the room. The red is more soothing if they wake.
I do use the “I’ll be right outside and I’ll come back and check you’re asleep in 5 mins” phrase a lot x
Zoe