Author Topic: 25mo short nights  (Read 2259 times)

Offline ZanesOTmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
25mo short nights
« on: May 11, 2019, 10:57:48 am »
Hi and we’re back.

Zanes been doing so well on set times with a little tweak here and there. He is now 25months. He used to be: WU 0700, set nap 1300 (sleeps ~2h), set BT 1945.

The past week had been crazy. He’s only slept ~9-9.5hrs at night so we’d cap the nap 1.5h. But every time we cap naps, all hell breaks loose and he would cry and scream for HOURS. DH goes nuts so he refuses to cap naps anymore. We moved BT to 2000, he wouldnt sleep til 2045 and wakes before 6am, chatting and singing until we get him at 7am.

Any suggestions? Ride it out? I’m thinking if we don’t cap nap,
We need to really push bedtime further, right? 🤦🏻‍♀️

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 25mo short nights
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 00:43:14 am »
I don't think I can be much help,as I am having similar struggles.

When we first started capping naps our LO would scream and cry if we woke her. So we started waking her, but ever so gently. We would open her door, open the blinds, keep the interaction low. We eased her into waking. It was more challenging the first couple times. It was hard to rouse her that way. But, it works like a charm now.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 03:39:02 am »
Have you tried moving the nap earlier
I wonder if you had the nap at Noon he may have a shorter one. As at the routine you have he has 6-7 hours before the nap but waking at around 3pm and going to sleep around 8.45pm says the long morning makes him want a long nap which then recharges him for the afternoon. If he's a bit less tired when he naps he should hopefully not nap as long
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline ZanesOTmom

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 23:34:46 pm »
I don't think I can be much help,as I am having similar struggles.

When we first started capping naps our LO would scream and cry if we woke her. So we started waking her, but ever so gently. We would open her door, open the blinds, keep the interaction low. We eased her into waking. It was more challenging the first couple times. It was hard to rouse her that way. But, it works like a charm now.

Thanks. Good to know he can learn to change... we usually turn off the white noise (we can control it through an app) but he’s abruptly wake up. But maybe we’ll try opening the door.

Offline ZanesOTmom

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 23:38:20 pm »
Have you tried moving the nap earlier
I wonder if you had the nap at Noon he may have a shorter one. As at the routine you have he has 6-7 hours before the nap but waking at around 3pm and going to sleep around 8.45pm says the long morning makes him want a long nap which then recharges him for the afternoon. If he's a bit less tired when he naps he should hopefully not nap as long

Thank you Kate. That’s a thought... I did forgot to mention though that in the past week, it takes another half hour or so for him to fall asleep for nap. Also, he gets home at 11:30am from school so I’m not sure if noon nap would work but yes, we can try earlier nap. I just don’t know if he’ll sleep.

He napped a whopping 5mins today as we had family over. So EBT and he’s snoozing by 6pm. Maybe he’ll reset so I’m hoping for a good night and the rest of the week. 🤞🏼

Offline ZanesOTmom

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 10:22:09 am »
Would t the earlier nap perpetuate the EW? He’s been waking still before 6am. Naps 1245 (asleep by 1ish) then BT 1945 (asleep in 30-40mins). He cries out at night but briefly and self settles. Then you can hear him sing before 6am until we get him at 7am. Is this developmental? Do I move the nap earlier or later? I’m so confused  ???

Added: it looks like he’s doing 11-11.5h total sleep per day. That can’t possibly be enough can it?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 10:27:43 am by ZanesOTmom »

Offline ZanesOTmom

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 10:13:08 am »
His total sleep is now less... 11-11h15m 🤦🏻‍♀️

Wakes 0545 (pick up 0700)
Nap 1230 (asleep by 1245) capped to 1.5h
Bed by 2000, asleep 2030

Do I push the nap later and cap it further to battle the EW? Put him to bed earlier at night? Not sure what to do :( he’s such a trooper with little sleep. Still in good spirits. No screaming when we wake him after 1.5h nap...

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 12:39:50 pm »
At some stage from about 18 months onwards total sleep in 24hours isn't created equal. A baby on no nap might be doing 13 hour nights, but if they nap they may only sleep 11 hours.

Tbh if he's happy for most of the day he may well be getting enough sleep. Also if he's in bed from 5.45 to 7am and not upset, but awake 'chilling' then it's 'down time' which is kind of partially adding to sleep rather than awake time.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05