Author Topic: Do you let baby grizzle?  (Read 3737 times)

Offline HannahBee1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 08, 2019, 12:29:22 pm »
Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me,
My little boy was always fed to sleep until one day this just stopped working. He was also taking 30 minute naps and constantly overtired. I’ve put him on a 4 hour EASY routine and the daytime naps are now sorted, which is great. However, we’re in the thick of the 4 month sleep regression and despite really consistent pick up put down he is struggling to self settle.
My question is, I always pick him up during PUPD as soon as he starts crying. However, I’m beginning to think the reason he isn’t getting it is because I’m picking him up too early and he isn’t getting the opportunity to try self settling. Today he wasn’t really distressed crying, more grizzling because he was tired so I stayed with him but left him in his cot and he gradually nodded off. So, is it okay to let him grizzle himself to sleep and just pick up for proper crying? I don’t want to do anything which is going to cause him genuine distress or break the bond of trust, but I feel like I’m not necessarily helping him with the way I’m doing it now.
Thanks!

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Do you let baby grizzle?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 23:34:04 pm »
Leaving them to grizzle is fine if they fall asleep, often it is how they unwind.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Do you let baby grizzle?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 08:18:38 am »
I'd also suggest (if he needs help) first trying to settle him without picking up (e.g. use shh-pat), before trying PUPD as some LOs find that can be too stimulating. x
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old