SLEEP > Naps

5 mo old not taking last nap!

(1/14) > >>

JennVanessa1083:
Hi!

I have written on other boards but unfortunately haven’t gotten a response; maybe because I’m not writing in the right place.

I’m at my wits end. My 5 month old (4 months adjusted) has been resisting her last nap and crying before bedtime. The last 3 days she has completely skipped her last nap but then is obviously overtired.

Today for example:

WU 7 am
S 9-10:45 am
S 12:45-2:15 pm
S 4:15-4:25 pm ( tried soooo hard in a carrier and she slept for only 10 minutes)
BT 6 pm (cried so hard)

She’s been on 1.75-2 hr wake times for maybe 2 weeks. She only wakes once at night for a feed but lately has been waking up only 30minutes-1hr after we put her to bed.

Yesterday she completely skipped it in the stroller and was awake for nearly 3 hours before I finally got her down for bed.

She’s gnawing at her hands most of the day and drooling a lot. Could it be signs of teething??

Please please please anyone help!!!

Katet:
Have you tried feeding more, there is a big growth spurt around 4mo and as she was early it could be that.
I know around 5mo my eldest struggled to settle and cluster feeding from about 4-7pm seemed to help as it increased my supply and it actually translated to a later night feed.

JennVanessa1083:
I usually feed her every 3-3.5 hours. I follow her cues. She gets a top up before bed as well. Should I try a top up before her last nap?

Katet:
If she’s unsettled and not sleeping definitely try feeding esp if you are BF A’s supply can drop off later in the day.
It’s also not abnormal to have unsettled periods that come and go at different ages, so it could be a stage that passes.
Be mindful too that sometimes they just need emotional connections and being awake is about getting more ‘cuddles’ to strengthen the attachment. Western culture is very hands off and clock watching, while many other cultures are much more baby wearing and don’t see problems where western cultures do. Sometimes it’s not food or sleep a baby needs but bonding and being unsettled is sometimes the only way they can communicate that.

It’s quite easy to get caught up in feeling comfort in the quest for the ‘ideal’, but in the journey of parenting it’s more how we connect in times of the challenges that help us the most. The feeling ‘ I must be doing something wrong that I’m not getting sleep like the book’ is a damaging one, where a ‘if he/she won’t sleep, cuddles will never go astray’ attitude is a positive one for everyone.

JennVanessa1083:
I completely agree with your advice about tons of cuddling and baby wearing. It wouldn’t concern me if it weren’t for the screaming that is happening bc she isn’t taking a proper 3rd nap and is super tired during the bedtime routine. We have been putting her down at 6 but I really don’t want it to creep up anymore. She seems to need at least 15-15.5 hours of total sleep. That’s her average. On the days she is clearly OT it’s been 14.5. I guess she is high sleep needs total opposite of my older son lol

I can try the top up today to see if it helps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version