Author Topic: Switching from bottle to a cup  (Read 4062 times)

Offline KatieAlexis

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 04, 2019, 13:19:12 pm »
Hi there,
My daughter is almost 16 mo. She's been having two 7oz bottles a day (morning and night) for a long time now. I've been trying to get her to take milk in a cup. She has water in the same style cup so I know she can use it, but she is barely drinking. Normally she downs her bottle. I'm not sure how much milk she needs now, should I worry that she's not drinking well from the cup? She has yoghurt and cheese but it's not the same quantity as milk so not sure how to compare or know if she's getting enough calcium.
Any tips?
Thanks!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Switching from bottle to a cup
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 19:29:30 pm »
Recommended amounts tend to vary area by area so I'd check what's advised for where you live.

After 1 if they are getting dairy in their day through food they don't need to be drinking bottles of milk and it's easier for eventual night dryness not to have a big bed time drink. We switched my DD to a cup of milk in the morning just after she turned 1 and gave it as a snack mid morning instead of a wake up bottle as she wasn't eating any breakfast. She had a bedtime cup around 16 months and didn't really ever take to it in the same way as the bottle. By the time she'd had cereal, mid morning milk, yoghurts and cheese in food she was getting plenty of dairy so it wasn't an issue.

Try offering a drink of milk at different times of the day if she won't take the cup at bedtime if you are concerned about dairy intake. You could try a different style cup too, a straw cup is often one they like to drink from if you aren't using those.

Laura

Offline KatieAlexis

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 21:34:57 pm »
Thanks Laura. I've been wondering if the cup is something she associates with water as she cant see into it like the bottle. I might try a cup with a straw. Just thought straws weren't great for teeth for some reason but not sure where I got that from so will have a google ;)
Katie

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Switching from bottle to a cup
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 07:02:12 am »
I think straws were said to be better for teeth as the liquid by passes them as they are sucking it straight down... it’s been a while though so they may have changed the advice!

Laura