Author Topic: 5 Week old bedtime troubles  (Read 3208 times)

Offline Hoofbeat

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 07, 2019, 10:30:09 am »
My DD is 5 weeks old and we are currently having issues with bedtime - I don't know if it's because she's in a leap or something else but I'd appreciate your advice.

We are already trying to encourage some independent sleeping and a loose EASY approach, but it is still very much work in progress. We have implemented a bedtime routine (7pm bath with her 2.5yr old brother, followed by feed, lights out, the same song being played) and then try and put her down in her bed using shush pat. However, the last week or so we've struggled to get her to fall asleep much before 9/10pm and it's exhausting (with her waking in the night for feeds and a toddler to entertain during the day, I really want to get her to sleep earlier so I can get a bit more sleep too). At bedtime she'll often dose off on the boob, but when I put her in the cot is usually slightly awake, and I shush pat her and she'll almost fall asleep and then suddenly she wakes up and she just will lie there calmly with her eyes wide open. She's rarely upset/crying but she just will not fall asleep for ages. I'll repeat the shush-pat and I've tried shielding her eyes but its like the moment she starts to fall asleep she just wakes up and we have to repeat it all over again. Eventually I end up giving her another BF and she'll be so exhausted she stays asleep. At other times of the day I can successfully shush pat her to sleep for naps (though sometimes she wakes after 30mins)

Any advice?

Offline sophsk22

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 05:46:49 am »
Hi, I'm afraid I'm not replying because I can help but because I'm having the same troubles with my just six week old. Have you had any progress? Can anyone offer any advice for us? Thanks!