SLEEP > Naps

Please help!! 5 week old takes up to hour to nap/not napping at all

(1/4) > >>

AshGop:
Hi there I really need some advice please... my bubs  is 5 and half weeks old and am trying to work on easy 3 hour routine although his A time is prob about an hour I think (although sometimes ends up being ,longer due to feeding taking time along with winding and nappy changes), and I’m trying to look out for tired cues but don’t seem to know what they are or if he is even showing any ...
When he has finished feeding I do a few minutes of A time and wind down... I walk with him calmly and /or sing lullaby and when he is calm I swaddle him ... then I hold him a few more minutes to help him drift off.. then as he starts to closes his eyes I put him in cot and keep pressure on his arms and legs as he often then Starts to wriggle so that helps him to stay calm but at this point he often opens his wide again and the can take another 20/30 minutes before he will start to drift off again.
Once he does go down he will often wake within 10 to 50 minutes.... he’s only had a few naps where he has slept through for hour and half. Sometimes when he wakes we are able to calm him back to sleep but again this can take 10/20 minutes.

What am I doing wrong???? Or is this just how it will be for now given his age? ( also should add I am breast feeding only)

How do I spot the tired cues?

Is he over tired or under tired? I suspect over tired given his age and how long feeding takes but sometimes his feed is over in about 40 minutes so then I start the wind down shortly after to see if that helps in getting him down quicker after his initial wake time but me often have this same problem of taking long time to get him down and then actually get him to stay down.

Please can someone give me some advice - am feeling very stressed about this as until now I’ve had help but from tomorrow my hubby is back at work and he works long hours so I will need to do all the nap times ...

AshGop:
Any advice at all would really be much appreciated!!

I’ve also started shh pat , only since yesterday but already feels like a lot longer since I’m doing every nap and my back is really feeling it!!

I am following the 4s ritual, i take bubs upstairs calmly and so nappy change if needed, swaddle, and then sit for about 5 mins until he is calm and glassy eyed... the I lay him down in cot. Only once had he been calm so have let the room but then he started crying after about 10 mins of being awake so then Started shh pat. All other times he pretty much fussed straight away so,I start shh pat in cot. Usually have to pick him up once or twice with shh pat. On average it then takes about 20 mins of shh pat before he will sleep and I then stay another 5 mins or so after his eyes are closed and slowly taper off the shh pat. But more often than not he will wake within 30 mins and sometimes I can shh pat back to sleep (but again this can take up to 20 mins or more) and sometimes he just won’t go back to sleep.

I some questions and really hope some one can explain this to me

Tracy says it takes 20 mins to go through the 3 stages of sleep (window, the zone and then letting go) but then she also says you need to spend 20 mins with shh pat. So then is the full sleep ritual supposed to take at least 40 mins? 20 mins before you even put them in cot and then 20 mins to shh pat ?

Sometimes he wakes after 15 mins - what could be causing this?

I really want this to work and will persevere but really need some guidance! And to know that eventually he will be able to sleep without 40 mins to an hour of trying to put him to sleep!!

Every nap today he has woken within 15-30 mins and I’ve spent longer trying to put him to sleep than he has actually slept 😟😟😟😟

Please can someone come back to me? Would really appreciate it.

AshGop:
Also, if he wakes after I’ve calmed him and put him down in cot , but then he starts crying and i go in for shush pat should I leave the room again once he is calm but awake ? Or is this when I need to stay for 20 minutes after he has closed his eyes? Tracy mentions waiting until he has melted into the crib....?

AshGop:
Please help I’m feeling really depressed.... it’s on,y day 3 of shh pat and I’ve been trying to get bubs to nap since 1008 this morning .. did the usual 4s routine .. out incot awake but sleepy after about 35 mins ... started crying after 5-10 mins so went in for shush pat .. got him down in 10 mins .. the he woke again after 20 mins ... tried sh oat again but it’s not working and. Ow I’ve had to leave him to cry as I haven’t been able to eat anything between feeding him and trying to get him to nap and now I just feel so rubbish and guilty ... please help 😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫 how to do I get hi to sleep more than 20 mins esp after I’ve taken almost 40-50 mins getting him down in the first place.????.

AshGop:
Is there anyone at all who can come back to me please?? It’s day 4 of shh pat and still no real progress,
I’ve started taking bubs up at about 50 minutes after he has last woken up, to start wind down to see if that will help and I feel he starts to get glassy eyed quicker and calmer so I can put in cot but then last 2 naps he woke up after 35 minutes and at next nap after 25 minutes..... so still won’t sleep very long ....

As the day goes on he has longer awake times as I’m spending so much time trying to resettle him and then give up and do another feed so when we get to next nap it’s over an hour of awake time as he takes atleast 30 to 40 mins to feed as need to spend time burping him in between and usually nappy change in between or as part of activity before wind down.

I don’t have any help and am just feeling so deflated and like I’m failing because I don’t seem to be able to read. My babies cues and can’t help him sleep....

Can someone please help with any advice?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version