Author Topic: Please help!! 5 week old takes up to hour to nap/not napping at all  (Read 5611 times)

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Please help!! 5 week old takes up to hour to nap/not napping at all
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 10:19:25 am »
I had pretty much the same problem with my DD2 at that age, and I had the same A-time as you which is appropriate oaccording to the average a-times. What I've learned about her now that she's 5,5 months is she needs a bit more than average. If I could go back I would try to extend her A-time with 5-10 minutes and see what happens. For us extending a in the morning meant she didn't fight the last nap, I don't really know how it works but not enough a has always been the problem for us, I didn't know at first since she was in the average to high range. Is it something you would want to try?

The other thing that seem to help her go to sleep or calm down when she was crying was white noise. We just tried a free app on the phone and have been using it ever since but bought a sound machine now. We kept the bedroom dark and covered her eyes in the wrap which really helped too. But the most important thing was to get the a-time right. 

Offline AshGop

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 11:53:40 am »
Hi aimi I actually was thinking the same re a time as yesterday when I was trying to wind him down he still seemed quite wide eyes and alert so have tried today to take him up after an hour and then start wind down so this is my day so far...

Monday
E 610am
S 655am
Nursery run fir daughter so transferred to buggy at 8am , in and out of sleep
E 850am wake n feed ,
A 940 am
950 upstairs , nappy change
S 1030 (957am swaddled n winding down , was drowsy so put in cot 1010 but then more awake.. hav left in cot n now has hiccups  , 1015 fussing while I lay in bed beside him
Picked up as crying n hiccups waking him.. calm in arms 1021 and eyes closed half , gently rocking
1025 placed in cot eyes closed, kept hand on chest TIL 1030 .. in this time eyes open close )
Woke 11am .. tried to settle .. back in cot 1117 eyes closed.. then immediately started  crying fully trying to resettle in cot but just won’t calm ..
taken downstairs so I can eat a little
E 1135
Straight up at 1225 as already been up before feed so didn’t want to add extra A time.
Swaddled and was dropping off straight away. Put in cot and within a minute eyes open and fussing .. I don’t get it?? Is he overtired now? Fighting sleep?

Calm at 1236, but awake so have left room
Fussing 1240, 1242 calming in my arms, placed on bed and eyes dropping , placed back on cot calm but awake and left room 1245. It’s now 1253 and he is still awake but calm.

Any thoughts?

Offline AshGop

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2019, 13:10:18 pm »
Just to add after leaving him in cot awake and calm at 1245 he started crying around 105 , it was a dirty nappy so changed and reswaddled , back in cot at 115, but crying at 118 so walked him about , eyes closed and in cot by 121pm.
Woke up just after 2pm , tried to settle back down but no luck after 10 mins.

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2019, 14:36:20 pm »
Sorry no thoughts on that. I got the advise to try a new a time for 3 days before seeing progress or not, it's hard to evaluate immediatly since there are so many things affecting sleep in a day. Of course it could be something else entirely or something that you might not be able to fix.. 🙄

Offline AshGop

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2019, 18:34:14 pm »
Ok thanks for coming back to me .. will try to keep going..
Here’s the rest of the afternoon in case any one does have any advice...

Woke 2ish, tried to settle back down but no luck,
E 221pm to 255pm
A until 340pm, altho tried to put him to sleep downstairs , but was wide awake. Took him up when fussing and he dropped off straight away, put in cot but woke 25 mins later.
Tried to resettle, fell asleep in arms , but woke again when placed in cot. Given up and feeding again (not even sure if cries are fir hunger or tiredness??)
E 440pm
S 540pm but crying in cot , trying to settle. It’s now 6 pm and hubby trying to settle.
S. 610pm
A 650pm..tried to settle , slept a few more minutes
E 730pm