Author Topic: 6.5 month old- how many meals?  (Read 5064 times)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
6.5 month old- how many meals?
« on: August 03, 2019, 14:52:24 pm »
Hi!

I started giving solids at 6 months. I’m starting with purées and want to transition to BLW soon (I did it with my son and he loved it!). I’m cautious this time around in jumping straight into BLA bc she is a premie that is 5% in weight and height. So I guess I now have two questions lol

1. Is one meal a day enough for now? When to give 2 meals a day? She’s upped her intake to about 2 teaspoons.
2. Is it ok to skip a day and not give solids?
3. Given her size and developmentally she’s just learning to grab better, should I stick to purées and start BLW around 7 months?

Ok more than two questions lol sorry and thank you!!
Jennifer xx

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 6.5 month old- how many meals?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 22:59:50 pm »
Honestly, there is no hard and fast rules....well people say 'this is what you do' but in the two years between my first and second the recommendations by the health nurse changed loads.
One thing I do know is my second loved his solids far more than my first, but as he's got older he's way more limited in what he eats (same with some  cousins... Better baby eater, worse later yet one good all along and one bad all along) ..so what you do now really isn't going to make for any patterns 

Most important is milk until 12mo and food is to play and learn... BLW  can be now or later it's totally how the are when sitting on your lap when you eat, if they reach for your food then it kind of says they are wanting to do it that way and nothing to do with size or age (by 6mo some premmies can be 95% because of genetics... Aka my Godson, born at 34weeks and 1.5kg (3.25lb), at 7 months was actually bigger than my baby born at 4kg... So IMHO size and weight aren't the factors, more can she sit up, and does she want to eat, if shes interested and she's having solids after milk feeds and it's not messing with milk feeds or giving an upset tummy, then 3  solid feeds a day or 1 feed a day is no different.
I love this little saying ' on the day your child starts school the teacher won't be able to tell (or care) how she was fed as a baby...it won't make her a better child so it's not something you can make a mistake on... rather part of the journey'
Actually at 6mo the best thing about food is not what goes in their mouth, but what the learn about how it feels in the hands in the mouth and what they see about others eating around them... The modelling of family is 100% most important, not the amount or times.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
Re: 6.5 month old- how many meals?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 04:49:38 am »
Thank you for all of this amazing information !!

I do have another question:

1. Are two NF common at almost 7 months? I did two meals today which she ate 1-2 tablespoons happily and nursed a lot. Yet she already woke up for a NF at around midnight and May possibly want another overnight as this has happened once or twice in the past 2 weeks. How do I know if she also needs. A top up with solids?
I know you can’t over feed BF baby but I wonder if top ups with solids will mess with nights?
Do growth spurts come then go then come again? She was back to one NF then boom this wwwk picked up another one.
Jennifer xx