Author Topic: My 7 WO takes forever to fall asleep  (Read 2296 times)

Offline NZG

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 16, 2019, 08:09:51 am »
Hi,

We have a beautiful 7wo spirited/touchy boy. We tried for EASY from the beginning. I always BF after he wakes up and try not letting him fall back asleep. Up to 6 weeks he had colic and seemed to be OT every time we put him down. There was no way we would try putting him down drowsy but awake. Now, the colic has resolved but he still seems reluctant to fall asleep for naps. I start the routine (going to the bedroom, swaddling, a bit of cuddles) about 50 min after he wakes (after I see yawns again- he yawns immediately after he wakes up, too). He then naps anywhere between 30 min to 2 hours (that is if I stay in the room for at least 15-20 mins after he is asleep). The issue is I have to carry and bounce him for at least 20 mins and then try to put him down asleep. If I try awake, he always starts crying. Most of the times he also starts crying as soon as we get to the bedroom... I don't want him to have a negative association to sleeping, but there is no way he falls asleep without crying.

Our nights are mostly OK- he falls asleep at about 8:30, wakes about every 3-4 hours, if we don't need to change the diaper he usually falls back asleep. At about 4 AM he has gas every night, sometimes I take him to rest on my tummy, as that calms him. He sleeps until about 7:30.

How can I shorten the lulling to sleep?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 08:19:47 am by NZG »

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: My 7 WO takes forever to fall asleep
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 08:26:48 am »
It might feel like he's 'older' but it may not be until past 3 months that he falls asleep faster, but having had a spirited/grumpy I found he never did the lovely 5 min routine I had with my second...so it maybe that it's the long haul. The good thing is by 6 or 7 months it's only 2 naps and bedtime.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline NZG

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 13:06:33 pm »
Thanks, Katet!
Did you find there is anything that calmed him quicker? Did you manage drowsy but awake once he was older?