Author Topic: 12 week old - want to introduce formula - please help  (Read 3588 times)

Offline AshGop

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
12 week old - want to introduce formula - please help
« on: August 22, 2019, 15:07:41 pm »
Hi I posted this a few days ago over on the bottle feeding board and someone suggested I may get more advice or similar experience on this board instead so would really appreciate some advice please!!

Hi there my lo is 12 weeks old tomorrow and is currently breast fed only and I’m thinking of starting a dream feed of formula.
I have tried to do the easy routine and we do follow the eas pattern but he doesn’t usually nap for more than 45 minutes so often try to get him back down .occasionally this will work but otherwise I end up feeding again after about 2.5 hours instead of the 3 hour mark.
How much formula should I start with in his dream feed?
I’m also not enjoying breast feeding as much, finding it quite stressful so thinking to gradually wean onto formula only... and just not sure of the best way to do this?
Also have been told that even with formula you need to feed responsively , but then how do you follow the easy routine? As this is on 3 hourly pattern?
How much formula should I try? We have Aptamil which has the guideline but just wondering if anyone has tried with different amounts?

Would really appreciate some advice please.

Offline AshGop

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 12 week old - want to introduce formula - please help
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 11:06:23 am »
Any advice at all please?? Would really appreciate it !

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 08:47:45 am »
I offered my DS1 the occasional formula feed from around 3mo and I'm pretty sure I just used the recommendations on the formula and followed my DS1s lead as to if he finished it or not.
Generally speaking if they are getting enough they stop feeding and will leave a bit in the bottle.
Formula takes longer to digest than BM so you may get longer between feeds,but despite what books lead us to believe, there isn't a one size fits all and it's mostly part of the lifelong parenting journey, that you need to make the best decision you can at the time using the information that you know about your child. What works perfectly for one child can be  disastrous for another, so it's important to be looking to what the needs of your child specifically rather than thinking what is 'right' because in the 1960s 'right' was canned milk with sugar added...which now has us all horrified.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline AshGop

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 16:25:02 pm »
Thanks katet