Author Topic: Please help with seven week old sleep  (Read 222 times)

Offline Julie Kenwell

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 04, 2019, 12:07:41 pm »
Hi there. Iím hoping you guys can help me out. Iíve had huge help from here in the past.
My third boy is 7 weeks old tomorrow although was born three weeks early.
I am having real difficulty figuring out his routine.
His night time sleep is quite erratic, up every 2-3 hours, some times even less. And often when I take him up to bed although I know heís tired, he will fight sleep and then wake not long afterwards.
Iíve noticed he takes a cluster of 1-2 hour naps all together in the middle of the day which Iím sure are impacting on his night sleep.
I am going by what I take are his cues throughout the day (and his awake time for the first two naps are in and around what is normal for this age) but I canít keep him awake around this middle of the day section, he wakes, takes a feed and then goes straight down to sleep again.
I am absolutely exhausted and questioning all my mummy instincts at this stage  :(
Please help! X

Offline Julie Kenwell

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Please help with seven week old sleep
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 12:34:22 pm »
Here is a sample of what we are dealin with:
Up 720
Sleep 830
Up 910
Cranky around 950
Sleep 1005
Up 1047
Sleep 1110
Up 1235
Sleep 1247
Up 2
Cranky
Sleep 252
Up 425
Sleepyish 535
Not sleeping!
Dozed til 610
Got grizzly at 640
Sleep 650
Woke 710
Sleep 830
Woke 840
Bed 10
Woke choking 1020
Straight back to sleep
Up around 7
Sleep 750
Up 820
Sleep 915
Up 10
Put in car but just dozed
Sleep 1050
Up 1130
Fed and sleep - 1145
Woke 1219
Sleep 1230
Up 130
Sleep 150 woke just before 2
Settled again
Up 245
Sleep around 3
Up 405
Sleep 520
Woke 530
Tried to resettle
Sleep 6
Up 630
Sleepy 715
Sleep 745 but fought it
Awake 752
Went back to sleep again
Up 840
Took up to bed 940
Sleep around 10
Took a while to go to sleep
Up around 1150

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 15:31:39 pm »
This might be a developmental thing; my kids' sleep cycles went wonky during growth spurts. What's his food intake like? Is he getting full feeds? Also, is there reflux? When my first-born started with it, she was about this age, and it definitely impacted her day AND night sleep.

Does anything here ring a bell in terms of what you're seeing? https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0

Could also be a food intolerance? Are you breastfeeding? If so, what's YOUR diet like? Elimination diets can sometimes pinpoint triggers. https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=189899.0

Offline Julie Kenwell

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 13:58:12 pm »
I think it might be the witching hour 😞
He has fought his last nap repeatedly now and is hard to get down at bed time too.
Iíve read that this can go on until the four month mark.
And that the best thing to do is encourage sleep in any way you can. But for his last nap I have him in his Moses basket with white noise on and I could be rocking for an hour! He doses on and off throughout this time or may eventually go over to sleep for a short nap.
I then get him up give him a formula feed (his only formula feed, the rest a breastfeeds) and then feed him once more from the breast and I take him up to bed when I see he has done a few yawns all close together. He then will dose on and off upstairs with a pacifier until I feed him maybe and hour or two later.
I am exhausted!!!

Offline deb

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 14:27:46 pm »
Can you wear him in a sling or carrier so you can get some rest too?

One thing I found that helped up until about 3 months was letting baby sleep on their tummy on MY tummy 1 or 2 naps a day. We both slept long and deep and it was so restorative for ME. (Make sure you pee first - ask me how I know! LOL)

Once we hit the reflux hell, it was 45-minute naps for the next month or so, until we got the reflux properly treated, and it was around 7 weeks that it began. In retrospect, since I was BFing, it was likely in part food intolerances, but she was my first so I had no reference at that point and hadn't yet discovered BW. (Actually, the short naps were my impetus for the online search that led me here all those years ago!)

Offline Julie Kenwell

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 16:35:12 pm »
He goes down fine for every other nap itís just the last nap of the day and bed time that is the trouble.
Iím wondering if there is anything else I should be doing to try and combat this?
He takes a pacifier for naps and bedtime although I had hoped to wean him off this at some stage. However i find Iím relying on it at bedtime to get him to sleep, and get back to sleep every time he wakes after that!
I guess Iím just hoping that this will end soon! My second child did something similar although it didnít last too long. This feels like itís been forever!

Offline deb

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 17:25:29 pm »
He may be going down for naps ok but those are really short naps during the daytime, with correspondingly short A times before them. Ideally he should be napping more like 90 minute+ each nap, with each nap longer and more restorative, so if he's only catnapping all day, he's more likely to be overtired by the end of the day in spite of that, and restless for night sleep as well.

Can you stretch the A times a little bit? You might also try extending his naps by being there when he stirs; I bet he spits out his pacifier and wakes up looking for it, but if you can "replug" him before he notices, you might increase your odds. (We had to do that, and eventually we taught ours to replug on their own, around 3-4 months, and just bought a whole slew of them so they could grope around, grab one, and go back to sleep on their own.)

Offline Julie Kenwell

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 08:30:03 am »
Yea I did feel his A times were really short too. I had just been following his cues and putting him down. Should I try and hold him out a bit longer and hopefully he will eventually get the hand of his A times?

Offline deb

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 20:24:02 pm »
I'd see if you can maybe stretch A times a few minutes each day for a bit...so maybe try for another 10-15 minutes for a couple of days, then extend. I had to extend in a quiet room w/soft music until DD could barely hold her eyes open, but your mileage may vary. And then I got in juts before she stirred in her sleep and re-plugged her pacifier before she realized it as out. It didn't work 100% of the time but we usually got one longer nap/day at first, then 2, then 3.

Worth a try!

Offline Julie Kenwell

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 08:04:03 am »
I tried extending his awake time two days ago but it ended up in a terrible mess of a day and he still had his unsettled period in the evening regardless.
Yesterday he slept a lot in the day and again had his unsettled period. Itís not that he is crying hard but is just very fussy and wants to be held and comforted.
And when I put him down for his nap or for bedtime he just canít settle over into a proper sleep.
I noticed yesterday that his unsettled period started as soon as he woke at 5pm from his nap.
I managed to get him to go down for another nap and then up to bed around 9pm but he couldnít settle over properly to sleep until 11pm on the dot! Then he was out for the count. That was a full six hours of being unsettled. It just seems so strange.
Then when he is coming out of his deep sleep in the morning, around 6am he is doing the same thing again, tossing and grunting and not settled so I have to continually
Give him his dummy until itís time to get up.
He was so tired this morning that he didnít even make an hour of A time before he went over to sleep. Heís been sleeping over an hour now this morning. Chalking up the sleep heís missed while Iím like a zombie!

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 607
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 08:36:20 am »
How often are you feeding?   It could be a feed issue. The time between 6weeks and 3 months tends to be the peak time for unsettled periods, I found with my DS1 it was partly me having lower supply later in the day and  dayfollowing my cousin's advice (she is a Mum of 5) I spent almost 3 hours with him on the breast for nearly a week which built up my supply and then I had less unsettled time..

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Julie Kenwell

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 10:15:32 am »
Iím feeding straight after he wakes up from each nap.
So that could be anything between 1.5 - 2.5 hrs.
Heís so sleepy this morning. 😞 Thereís no way I could stretch out his A times this morning.
I read that the witching hour is part of them gearing up for their longest stretch of nighttime sleep but he doesnít even do a long stretch. The longest weíve had is about 3.5 hrs.
Thereís no routine at all which I also think is part of the problem but its like the chicken and the egg: how can I establish a routine when this witching hour continues, and how can the witching hour end without a routine?!

Offline deb

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 16:05:45 pm »
OK, next time he short-naps, don't feed him on waking, but wait until it's been closer to 3 hours. Yes, you might end up feeding to sleep now & again, but if he's getting shorter smaller meals from nursing more frequently, that may be complicating things.

So say he wakes at 7AM and you feed straightaway, and then he naps from 8-8:45, don't feed at 8:45 but wait until closer to 10 (maybe 9:45 if he's only staying awake an hour and already showing sleepy signs). Then you know FOR SURE that if/when he wakes after 45 minutes or less again it cannot be hunger since he just ate. And if he sleeps on you while you catch a nap, so be it once or twice. :)

Around 35-40 minutes into naptime, sneak into his room and observe what happens when he stirs between sleep cycles. If he starts rooting for a missing pacifier (mine would spit it out when she stirred and then root for it and ultimately wake crying), try to get it into his mouth before he even realizes you're there, see if he'll re-cycle back to sleep. I had to do that EVERY SINGLE NAPTIME for about 2-3 days before she started really sleeping thru, but after a week the short naps were a thing of the past.

Offline Julie Kenwell

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 08:52:37 am »
Okay, so despite another rubbish night, he managed to stay awake for 1hr10 mins this morning before going down for his nap. He woke at 45 minute mark and I gave him his dummy. He went over again and is still sleeping.
Hoping for the best here!!
I think part of the night time problem is Im not putting him down to bed at the right time?
He seemed well rested yesterday and then around tea time he would not go down for a nap at all. I gave up trying to get him over to sleep by the stage that he had an awake time of over 1hr30. But not long after this he was cranky and wanted to sleep!
So should I just have persevered with that nap and then take that as the last nap of the day?
Because I gave up on that nap, and then the 30 minute nap he took then after that, he wouldnít settle down to sleep at bedtime for ages.
I really think this is the big problem to do with his sleep. But just not sure how to nip it in the bud.
Thanks so much for your advice so far  :)